twenty five

"I don't get how I've been here this long and have never experienced a Grant-Nash dinner before. I'm kind of offended." Anastasia said to Buck in his jeep. As she said, they were on their way to Bobby and Athena's house for dinner, and the rest of their department was meeting them there. "I've only been here for May's graduation right before COVID happened."

"Maybe Athena hates you." Buck said, not being serious in the slightest, but his tone was just that, so Anastasia's head shot over to look at him from the passenger seat. "I'm-I was just kidding, I swear."

"Don't joke about that, what if she does?"

"You've met her like three times, and all times went well, right?"  Buck asked as he rubbed his thumb over the back of her hand, resulting in Anastasia nodding her head.  "You have nothing to worry about, I promise.  Everyone loves you. But they might love this dessert you made even more."

In Anastasia's lap was a foil pan that had Dulce de Leche sponge cake, which Buck was still surprised she even had time to make. "You know I never go to houses empty handed." She justified.

"I know, my fridge has been fully stocked since we met." Buck nodded. Within a few moments of him driving and never letting go of her hand, they reached the driveway, which already had a bunch of parked cars. immediately after putting the car in park, Buck turned to Anastasia. "Okay, kiss for good luck."

"Why do we need good luck?"

"In case Athena actually hates you."

"Buck!"

"I'm kidding!" He laughed off, reaching over the middle to pull Anastasia against him, and against her will. "No but seriously, you should kiss me before we go in there. I have needs, and if they are not met, I will die. Do you want me to die?"

Reluctantly, Anastasia moved her head from his chest, since he was still hugging her over the console, and tilted her face just enough to quickly kiss him. "You're so needy, Buckley." She muttered unamused, but clearly by the look on his face, the little peck was not what he wanted. "We are not making out in our captain's driveway, B." She told him, pulling away further, but Buck kept his arms around her. The only difference was that his hands rested on her sides and his arms were fully stretched out.

"What if I say 'please?'"

"Then I would say Eddie's outside the car."

"What do you mean Eddie's—" Cutting himself off from his sentence, Buck let out a short yelp as he turned around to look out the driver's side window and saw Eddie just staring through. "Dude, don't do that!"

"Did you guys bring the desserts? Chris is asking, not me."

Buck let out a defeated sigh as he reached over to push Anastasia's door open before opening his own, making Eddie take a step back from the car.  "Don't bring your son into your lies, Edmundo.  But yes, we have the desserts."

× × ×

Rather than driving all the way back home, or rather than leaving his girlfriend, Buck slept over at Anastasia's house after the dinner.  Because they were dating, he didn't sleep in her guest room anymore, and he moved the clothes he would accidentally leave over from that room to hers.  The next morning, they woke up for their shift and it wasn't any different from their usual mornings; they had coffee from her Keurig and she quickly made breakfast for them and Tatum.  Tatum had a dog door, so they weren't waiting for Yasmin, Anastasia's high school dog sitter, but when they were leaving through the front door, the teenager was walking up the porch.  "Oh, morning Yas!  You're earlier than usual."  Anastasia greeted, leaving the door cracked open behind her so Yazmine wouldn't have to open it herself.