thirty five

"You look so cute with sunglasses on

"You look so cute with sunglasses on."  Anastasia complimented Buck once they got back into the truck from their call.  A man had gotten trapped on a cliff, so there was a search and rescue helicopter sent out.  Howie and Eddie were in the helicopter for when they found the man, and before he was put into the ambulance from the helicopter, he said something about the treasure being his.

The call was clearly far out of Anastasia's head now that it was over since she continued to stare at the side of Buck's head. 

"You look cute all the time."  Buck replied as if it was instinct.

"Bobby, they're flirting on the job again." Howie said from in front of the two. "Don't you get tired of each other? Like we work these 24 hour shifts together, and then you carpool to hang out together until the next shift."

"We don't live together, so we go at least 15 hours without each other."

"Because you're asleep. Unless you FaceTime even when you're apart..." Hen said, looking at the two in suspicion because she was getting a vibe that they did indeed FaceTime each other whenever they were apart.

Which wasn't necessarily wrong, because sometimes they would fall asleep while FaceTiming each other, but they weren't going to bring that up. "You guys are just haters."

"You guys get tired of the people you married and have families with?"

Maybe they were misunderstanding what their team was teasing them with, but Anastasia grew up with her parents basically obsessed with each other.  Kinda the way her and Buck were, which is why she was so sure her family would like him.  Her parents have very hectic jobs, her dad a firefighter and her mom a lawyer, they often worked late nights, but no matter what, they made time for each other. Growing up, she'd see her parents surprise each other with little gifts, flowers they found in neighbors yards, favorite snacks, handwritten notes, etc. And any time off work that they had, they were always attached at the hip.

That was the kind of love Anastasia dreamed of having one day. And with Buck, she felt like she found it. It was inexplicable. and sometimes she felt guilty, but her relationship with Buck just felt more raw and pure compared to the relationship with her ex-fiancée. While she loved him deeply, and probably will continue to love him for the rest of her life, Buck somehow made her feel like a high school freshman getting noticed by her crush for the first time.

"Well no, but our relationships are very different because we do a whole shift, and on our days off, they still have to work. So added up, that's like 30 hours of not seeing each other." Chimney explained.  "You really don't get overwhelmed with each other's presence and need a break?"

The two shook their heads, not really getting the fuss everyone was making.  "Why?  Is that bad?"

Rather than responding, the team looked at each other and back to the couple as the truck reversed into the station house.