twenty six

At the end of the night, after 12 hours full of the stupidest calls, and trying to eat in between calls only to be interrupted by their bell, the team thought they had finally gotten a moment of peace.  With the newfound and well-deserved comfort, Buck, Chimney, and Hen were upstairs reading; Buck had a book about understanding women, Chimney was reading about becoming a dad, and Hen was studying for her medical exam.  Meanwhile, Anastasia was on the couch, fast asleep while cuddling into the blanket Buck threw over her, missing the conversation about Eddie's love life. When the bell went off again, Anastasia shot up from the couch, nearly falling off had her legs not been resting across Buck's lap.

They of course had to get ready and load the trucks, and like the rest of their calls, this wasn't a normal one.  Initially, they thought it was because the operators described it as a garage catching on fire, but when they arrived at the scene, they found out a few minutes later that there was actually $10k worth of fireworks in said garage. 

After putting out the fire, a brief firework show, and beginning to put everything away, the team started going back to the truck to unload everything, including the extra gear they didn't need to be wearing. "Honestly, the next time someone says the Q word, I might quit." Anastasia told Buck tiredly. "All I know is that the sleep I'm getting tomorrow is gonna be out of this world."

"I— what about our brunch?"

Since they were on one side of the truck with everyone else spread out elsewhere, they weren't really worried about their private conversations. "Well, I'm not canceling on you, B. Can we push it back to dinner and just have breakfast foods? I have a feeling we're gonna get called to something every hour of our shift and no time to nap, and I'm already exhausted."  She practically begged, wanting nothing more than to wrap her arms around his waist to get him to agree to her breakfast for dinner idea.  However, not even their boss knew about their relationship, so instead of that, all she could do was lean her head to the side to rest on the truck.  "Please?"

From afar, Hen saw the two just staring at each other with stupid smiles and stupid doe eyes, and when Buck nodded his head, Anastasia noticeably got happier. She just hummed to herself as the two started walking to the door to get into the back of the truck, ready to leave just like the rest of the team.  Riding back to the station, Anastasia had to force herself to keep her eyes open and when they got back, she threw herself onto one of the beds downstairs, not bothering to change into comfier clothes before snuggling under the blanket.  This time, more people followed her idea of getting more sleep instead of reading, but not even 20 minutes later, they were called out to Larry's Burgers.

Apparently someone claiming to be the fire marshal called to say that the fast food restaurant had a gas leak, causing Larry—not Jim— to smash all the windows because the man on the phone said to. It caused a big scene, which is why first responders showed up, and once the 118 checked and proved that there was not a leak, the team went outside.  "I can't believe this.  20 years of customer service up in smoke— or gas."  Larry exclaimed, clearly distressed because of the situation.

"Actually, there wasn't any of either, Jim."  Buck reiterated, leaning against one of the nearby tables outside.

"It's still Larry!"  He exclaimed again, crossing his arms in front of his chest as he sat back on another table.

After a quick talk with Athena, they found out someone impersonating a LAFD chief caused this.  Which not only added to their problem of some guy impersonating a fellow firefighter, but also led to Buck chasing said impersonator through the drive thru and parking lot.  Which then led to the 118 engine getting stolen.

Hen, Chimney and Anastasia were inside ordering food while this was all happening, letting everyone else deal with the crime. "Woah, you guys sell curly fries here?" Anastasia asked the cashier in disbelief, immediately telling her to add that to their order of numerous burgers.  "Don't look at me like that, we deserve this." And they walked out with their bags of food right as their truck sped down the street, several police cars zooming after it.  "What'd we miss?"  Anastasia asked for the trio, all of them equally confused.