The Love of a Mother

Tina held her infant son in her arms. Newt had gone to make some tea, so she was just sitting cross-legged on the floor holding her son. She suddenly felt the house jolt slightly. She held her son close to her chest and got to her feet. Newt rounded the corner just as the door flew open. 

Newt ran over to Tina and his son, wrapping them in a protective embrace. Tina shut her eyes tight and leaned into her husband's chest. The infant in her arms had woken up and was starting to cry.

Newt drew his wand from his sleeve and pointed it in front of them.

"Leave our home! There's no need for this!"

The figure cast a spell and knocked Newt unconscious. He fell to the floor. Tina's eyes opened quickly as she felt her husband's arms leave her sides. He lay on the floor at her feet. Tina's nostrils flared and she turned around to meet her sister's eyes.

Her eyes, but not Queenie.

It was a boy. He had a lean body type, spiky blonde hair, and, as Tina noted before, her sister's eyes. The boy's lip curled, and he started to point his wand at Tina. Tina drew her wand and cast at him while holding her son in the other arm. The spell hit the boy square in the chest, and he was pushed backwards, collapsing against the wall.

He held his side and looked up at Tina. Tina adjusted the way she was cradling her son.

"Who are you?" she asked.

The boy looked up at her, "You know. I know you know."

Tina straightened her shoulders and hardened her gaze. Her gut was telling her this boy was Queenie's son. But it wasn't possible.

The boy smirked and disapparated. Tina relaxed herself a little and rushed over to Newt. He was starting to wake up and Tina leaned back against the sofa and ran her index finger against her son's cheek.

"We will protect you. I promise."

~~~

"Mummy! Look!"

Tina stood up and smiled as her son ran into the room, holding a small creature.

"What have you got, Ben?" she said as she sat down at the kitchen table.

He stopped in front of her and held it up. Tina laughed, twitching her neck back as Benjamin shoved a rabbit in her face. The rabbit twitched its little nose and Benjamin smiled so wide, his eyes twinkled with stars. I pet the rabbit's head.

"Do you want to make a home for him?" Tina asked.

Benjamin held the rabbit close to his chest and bow his head shyly, looking up at Tina through his eyebrows. Tina smiled and picked up her son.

"You can keep i-"

"-her! It's a female bunny!" Benjamin clarified.

Tina laughed lightly and finished her sentenced, "Alright. You can keep her in your room."

She put Benjamin back and he walked over to the stairs. That's when Tina noticed her son was limping.

"Benjamin. Why are you doing that?"

Her son turned around and sheepishly said, "Doing what?"

Tina sighed and crouched down in front of him and rolled up his pant leg. His right knee was gashed open so much, she could see bone and his socks were covered in blood.

"Why didn't you tell me, Ben?" Tina asked, hearing the shakiness in her own voice.

"I don't know. I didn't want you to know, I guess."

Tina picked up her son and carried him quickly over to the kitchen counter. Setting him on the counter, she summoned some paper towels. She ran it under the water and cleaned her son's knee.

"When did this happen?"

Benjamin was quiet, so Tina looked up at him as she cleaned his knee.

"When did this happen, Ben?" she asked again, more sternly.

"Yesterday. When I was in the back garden." he said, shyly.

Tina's expression changed from slightly worried to shocked. Benjamin watched her expression and his shoulders rose to his ears in shame.

Tina finished cleaning his knee up and wrapped it in some gauze. She turned around found that Benjamin's rabbit was still sitting on the stairs, where Benjamin had set her before Tina'd picked him up.

She set him down on the floor and he limped over to pick up the rabbit.

"Bunny, come on. Let's make you a place to live."

~~~

Benjamin jumped down the stairs, landing on the floorboards with a loud thump. He rushed to the basement door, an open letter tightly in his grasp. He scurried down the basement stairs, leaping over the last few steps to get to the floor faster. He landed swiftly, but it was so fast with so much weight put on his knee, it buckled, and Benjamin ate the floor.

He pushed himself up and continued through the basement to find his parents. He rubbed at his jaw as he walked through the basement. He found his parents by his dad's office corner. Newt was tending to a small niffler. Tina was sitting beside him, sketching out something.

"Mum! Dad! My letter's here!" Benjamin announced, holding the letter in front of him.

His parents looked up at him, before standing up and rushing forward to give him a hug. Benjamin handed the letter to them and was about say something else but instead of words coming out he yelped a little.

Holding up his arm, a fire crab was latched onto his finger. Newt sighed and started petting and cooing at it. Finally, it let go of Benjamin's finger, but it'd been on it too long, that Benjamin was kind of bleeding. Tina was already ready with bandages.

She wrapped Benjamin's finger in gauze and gently kissed it when she was done.

~~~