Chapter Twenty One: Breakable

I couldn't believe Bucky wouldn't even touch sweet little Marie. I know why but I thought he would have changed by now. He's never hurt me... Seriously.

I went to bed exhausted and fell asleep almost immediately. I woke up a few hours later, but didn't hear Marie crying or screaming. I reached out to the side of the bed where I knew I should find Bucky's warm flesh or at least his chilled metal arm. But I found only the bed sheets between my fingers.

I slipped out into the hall way pausing just before the nursery. Hearing a voice from inside, I am prepared to defend my baby. But I recognize the voices, it belongs to my husband.

"Your mother is so upset with me Marie. And she has every right to be. I wasn't there for her when you arrived. And I can't touch you," he let out a low sigh. "She thinks I hate you. And I don't, I swear I don't. I love you to the ends of the Earth. And I love Mommy to the moon and back too. I hope she doesn't forget that,"

He looked down into the crib, a happy tear trickles down my cheek. Then he did something unexpected.

"I've been practicing Marie. Your Uncle Clint has a new puppy that's as fragile as you are. Marie if I accidentally hurt you, I want you to know that I love you and that I love Mommy, and I never ever meant to hurt you,"

A soft cooing came from the crib. And Bucky reached down with his right arm and scooped little Marie up into his arms, and cradled her gently.

"How am I doing so far," he whispered.

Marie cooed and held one of his real fingers in her itty bitty hands.

"Well you aren't crying or screaming, so I guess I'm doing something right,"