Chapter 38

Nalini followed Eva's steady footsteps down the crowded hallways, past sticker laden lockers and boards filled with event posters. People parted for the queen bee like the red Sea, while only some recognised Nalini. 

They either stared at her for a few seconds and then went back to their conversations but some gave her dirty looks, making it look like she was stalking Eva or something.

Nalini ignored them all but it was admittedly harder to do when her two best friends weren't by her sides. People who adored Eva had naturally disliked Nalini due to their constant feuding but she never minded it. 

She just picked up the pace until she was side by side with her. 

"May I know why you are walking like a bullet train?" 

Eva's lips pulled back into a small smile but she continued her speed walking. "Just want to get out of these hallways. Everyone's always watching." 

Nalini fell silent. She had no idea what that felt like but even in those rare moments that people did notice her -like today- she realised she didn't like it. She couldn't imagine the kind of attention Eva dealt with on a day to day basis.

But what surprised her the most was that Eva admitted to not enjoying it. She'd always assumed the popular girls revelled in all the attention they received. 

They finally reached the library which was fairly empty because most students were out for lunch. The girls walked along scattered tables and bookshelves till they reached the row of rooms designed specifically for group studies.  

Nalini sat down on one of the chairs and stared at Eva warily. She had never worked with this girl only against her. This felt like mixing oil with water, something that was bound not to work. 

"So where should we start?" Eva picked up her book and flipped through the pages, looking very businesslike. 

"Hmm, how about why you chose me in the first place?" Nalini raised her hands in the air, her gaze querulous. "Eva, are you sure we can work together?" 

"Come on. Let's at least try."

"But why the sudden change of heart. Is there something you want to tell me? Is that why you chose me as your assigned partner?" Nalini tried her best to look casual but inside she prayed that she didn't sound too obvious. 

Eva had been acting weird recently, ever since the girls started spending time with Damien but she noticed it's become worse since Julian returned to school. 

Nalini studied Eva's face up close and she noticed the dark circles under her eyes for the first time. It didn't look like she'd had a decent night's sleep in days. 

"Are you okay?" Nalini asked again because she was met with nothing but silence. 

Eva ignored her, instead she pressed a finger to the page in front of her. "We're going to need to work in the lab for this." 

"Eva," Nalini sighed tiredly. "Is this because of Damien? Because you dated him so now you have some sort of possessive hold on him and no one else is allowed to date him."

Eva laughed out loud at her question. "Are you serious? I haven't thought about him like that in years. Or maybe never." 

"So I'm just supposed to believe you suddenly want to spend time with me on a project and it's voluntary," She eyed the picturesque looking girl who was currently sitting in front of her. 

"I think it's high time we put our silly feud to rest. Don't you think?"

Nalini recoiled. She'd never expected such maturity from Eva which in turn made her feel childish.