Chapter 43

ONE MONTH LATER

"Edward! Hanna is here already!" Edward's mother called from downstairs the moment she opened the door. "Come in dear, have some cookies while you wait."

Hanna smiled warmly at Edward's mother who has been so kind and accommodating. She'd been ecstatic about the prospect of Edward bringing home a girl to introduce to her parents and the two of them got along like a house on fire. 

Hanna's been over to their house a few times already and she was always made to stay for dinner which eventually led to dessert and card games that lasted into the night. 

She followed her past the living room and stairwell as they headed straight for the kitchen. Hanna sat on a stool and took a fresh cookie from the oven tray lying on the counter. 

"How have you girls been?" Mrs. Delgado asked as she fussed around with the knobs on her built in oven. 

"We've been good. Just keeping track of the trials like everyone else," Hanna replied within bites.

Just like the rest of Wisconsin, Mrs. Delgado was well aware of the news that has been plaguing the entire country for the past few weeks. 

The news of the murders, Eva's confession implicating Lennox and Tyler and Julian subsequently being acquitted were all everyone was talking about whether it was on the news channels, online or even regular conversations at dinner.

Everyone was shocked that Julian turned out to be innocent and worst of all framed. Tyler and Lennox were the villains everyone had now turned to hate and Eva remained a huge topic of debate. 

Because even though she had been involved, she had also helped save Hanna and her friends. There were people who defended her and there were those who protested for her to be charged with the same prison sentences as Tyler and Lennox. 

Julian was now seen as an innocent victim and the justice system has been receiving the harshest blowback from the public. People are saying he wasn't tried fairly and blaming the unfair judicial process. 

The real mud on the authorities faces occurred when Julian admitted to Lola and her friends helping him clear his name. There was a public furore. People were appalled that a few teenagers were able to do what the justice system had failed to do to begin with. 

Needless to say Lola, Hanna, Nalini, Edward and Damien had now become the public's unsung heroes to the entire county, maybe even the state. 

Hanna's twitter and instagram handle blew up within a few days and so did her friends, Damien's being the most popular. On a rare occasion, some even stopped on the street to get their autographs.

The whole thing was crazy and felt like a dream or a k-drama. Come to think of it, this whole story made the makings of a killer k-drama. 

Hanna was busy imagining herself as the lead character when Edward came bounding down the stairs. 

"My queen! Sorry for making you wait," Edward pushed up his glasses and ran a hand through his styled hair. 

It took him about thirty minutes just to get his hair right for their outings and Hanna had grown tired of telling him that none of that mattered to her. Nevertheless, a guy wanted to look good for her and she secretly liked that he took such an effort. 

"If I had a penny for every minute you make me wait."

"I know. I know. But don't worry I'll be a billionaire soon and then you'd never have to think about pennies, only notes." He sidled up to her and pecked her on the cheek before grabbing the rest of her cookie.