Chapter 12

Lola kept her head down as she walked past the school doors and headed for Damien's jeep in the school parking lot.

Lola and her friends usually took the bus by the side of the school. The crowds that hung out around the parking lot were usually the intimidating ones - seniors and stuck up juniors.

She spotted Damien leaning by the side of his black jeep, playing with his phone.

"I don't know why I feel so nervous," Hanna muttered.

"Damn, he looks picturesque just standing like that," Nalini murmured.

"Hey," They said in unison once they reached him.

Damien stood up straight and adjusted his shades. His light brown hair gleamed in the sunlight and Lola  could have sworn she heard Nalini sigh out loud.

She smiled at him politely and hit her best friend discreetly, not wanting her to embarrass them.

"Come on, get in," Damien said and then he hoped into the driver's seat.

The girls looked at each other, excitement and apprehension apparent in their eyes.

Lola noticed the entire student body in the parking lot staring at the odd combination. Instead of ignoring her instincts she turned her head and saw Eva and her posse standing by her convertible, staring at them.

Her eyes were fixed on Nalini and they narrowed when the tall, wiry girl got into the back seat.

Lola then caught another pair of eyes on them and she turned to the entrance of the school to see Tyler Raeken staring at her as well.

Her Tyler.

Hanna jumped into the back as well which left Lola to sit in the passenger seat in front. She glared at her two friends who shrugged at her innocently before trudging to the front.

Once she took a seat, she cast a wary glance at Damien and then she looked out the window.

Tyler was still staring at them and her heart was beating frantically in her chest when she noticed this. It was only once they exited the car park did she relax a little.

The car ride was awkwardly silent to say the least and Damien tapped his fingers on the wheel, she could tell he felt just as uncomfortable.

She glanced at him just as he did the same and they smiled at each other politely before looking away.

"So what kind of music do you girls like?" Damien asked while he fiddled with his sound system.

"Kpop!" The girls answered in unison and Damien stared at them blankly.

"Umm sorry, don't really have that but I do know BTS," He offered pathetically. "They're kind of a big deal in the US, right?"

"Try the world," Hanna scoffed proudly. "But there are many other groups that are really good as well like Ateez, Blackpink, Itzy, Twice, Exo, I could go on forever. I can play some for you if you like."

Her hopeful words were quickly shot down by Damien's confession.

"Actually I'm more of an alternative rock kind of guy," He said and then he put on an Arctic Monkeys song.

"Me too," Nalini said enthusiastically and both her friends eyed her disbelievingly, catching her lie.

"Really? What's your favourite song? Maybe I have it," He asked.

Nalini's eyes widened in panic, having not expected to elaborate more. "Umm, it's too alternative. I don't think you would," She mumbled after a failed attempt and then turned to look out the window in embarrassment.