Chapter 10

"Finally you're back. I've been walking in circles and reading King and hiding from your parents all day," Julian said the moment Lola walked in and shut her room door. 

Unlike her, he looked fresh, clean and well rested, the extreme opposite from what he was when he broke into her room two nights ago. Lola's heart sunk when she saw his hopeful expression, she couldn't believe he had been framed and for the millionth time, couldn't figure out why. 

"My parents came into my room? What did you do?" She asked as she dumped her bag over her chair. 

"Just your mother. She dumped your fresh laundry on your bed while I hid under it," He laughed and then his beautiful dark blue eyes bore into hers. "Did you talk to Damien?" 

Lola sat on her bed, facing him and rubbed her palms over her pants. "Yeah, he's coming to get you tonight. Said he has a pool house you can stay in."

He clapped his hands together and smiled. "That's great news. Thanks Lola, you're the best."

She just gave him a half smile in return, wondering if she should share the bad news with him now when he looked so happy.

"Why do you look like King just killed off your favorite character?" He straightened up and shuffled closer to her. "Are you going to miss me, Lola?"

"No," She answered defensively and almost winced when his smile dwindled. "Well I guess I might as well tell you now. We went to Hanna's uncle's store just now and checked out the tapes."

"And?" He straightened up.

"The time frame on both the dates were erased. We couldn't find them and when we asked Hanna's uncle he went all crazy defensive and weird. Needless to say the entire thing is sketchy."

Julian's eyes darkened considerably and then his shoulders slumped. He leaned against her cupboard door and turned his gaze away. 

"Well there goes my last chance," He murmured. 

"I know it sucks but we believe you, Julian. And so does Damien. We'll figure it out together, okay?" Lola offered hopefully but he only scoffed in response. 

"How are four high school students  supposed to help when my lawyer couldn't? I was doomed from the beginning and right now I really need a smoke." He got up and walked over to his dirty pair of jeans he had been wearing when he got here. He pulled out a dirty looking box of cigarettes and took out one. 

"You can't smoke here," Lola said in a panicked voice. 

Julian twirled the stick between his fingers and let out a humorless chuckle. "Of course. Little goody two shoes Lola, never broke a rule in her life."

He tucked the box back into his jeans pocket and she frowned at how condescending his tone of voice had been. 

"That's not fair. Hiding a fugitive isn't exactly goody two shoes behavior." She crossed her arms over her chest and stared at him crossly. How did he turn into an asshole so quickly?

"Yeah, you should get rid of me then. Wouldn't want to taint your perfect record," He snapped. 

"What are you talking about?" She frowned.

"I'm saying we don't mix and I should never have stayed another day. And you are in over your head if you think you and your merry band of nerds can help me. I could have been in the neighboring county by now," He stood up and bunched his hands into fists. 

Lola couldn't believe he was being so ungrateful. All she had done these past few days was try to help him and now he was throwing that in her face.