Chapter 18

Lola rushed into the already crowded living room and had to push her way to the middle in an attempt to find her friends. 

"Lola, there you are," Damien called out happily and then gestured for her to join the group of students huddled around in a circle.

"Tyler, nice of you to join us," Eva spoke in an authoritative voice and Lola noticed him tense up next to her. "Come on, we're playing truth or dare." 

"Such a childish game," Tyrone complained even though he was sitting in the same circle, next to a red faced Hanna. She was staring blankly into space and Lola got a little worried that her friend was drunk.

"What do you expect. We're teenagers and this shit's fun especially when we have new victims," Eva smiled devilishly as she stared at Nalini.

Nalini was sitting with her knees tucked to her chest next to Damien and a few other cheerleaders flanked them on both sides. She caught Lola staring and then looked between Tyler and her in satisfaction. Especially when he held Lola's hand to guide her to a place to sit.

Lola followed Tyler into the circle but even though she should have been enthralled that he was holding her hand, she only felt discomfort. So she slipped out of his hold, much to Nalini and Damien's dismay and walked over to squeeze into the space next to Hanna. 

Tyler walked over to another spot awkwardly and sat down, looking confused as he stared at Lola who immediately looked away. 

Everything had been going right on track tonight, Damien and Julian would have been proud. Not only had Lola befriended Tyler, he had almost kissed her if it weren't for that damn car horn but that was just the thing. 

It had all happened too fast and that made Lola uneasy. Aside from the time they were lab partners two years ago, Tyler giving her his ice cream cone and the occasional hello and goodbyes, they'd never really established much of a relationship. 

Going from zero to hundred wasn't something Lola was used to and maybe it wasn't just that. Maybe it was the way Eva and her friends had stared at them when they walked in together. 

Lola couldn't explain why but it just made her feel weird. 

"You, okay?" She distracted herself by checking on Hanna. 

"Awesome possum!" Hanna giggled and Lola's eyes widened when she took in her friends extremely red cheeks. She placed her hand on Hanna's cheek and was startled at how warm she was. 

"It's normal, my family gets this way when we drink," Hanna brushed off her hand just as Tyrone smiled at her. He leaned closer to Hanna and Lola pulled her drunk friend away from him cautiously. 

No way was he taking advantage of her friend. Not on Lola's watch. 

"Okay, let's begin," Eva's eyes gleamed as she crouched forward and placed a glass bottle in the center of the circle. She looked flawless in her short, backless denim dress and her face was glowing today. 

It was the type of glow Eva had whenever she was competing for something or with someone and it was usually present when Nalini was around - her ultimate competitor.

"Can you start already? Enough with the foreplay," Nalini challenged impatiently, surprising both Eva and Damien. 

Looks like Hanna wasn't her only friend who'd had a little too much to drink. 

Eva frowned, her cheeks flushed as she spun the bottle quickly and then leaned back to watch who the victim was. It landed on Natalie who chose dare and then ended up making out with her boyfriend in front of everyone after Eva said so.