Chapter 11

Lola felt someone shake her gently and she jumped up with a start. 

"Damien's here," Julian whispered from her side and she blinked profusely, she couldn't believe she had fallen asleep. She looked through the window and saw Damien's jeep parked inconspicuously across the road. 

"What time is it?" She murmured in a sleepy voice. 

"I think it's just past three," Julian got up and gathered his tattered old clothes in his arms.

"We need to use the back door. It makes less noise," Lola murmured and then she stood up as well. She wiped her face and tip toed to her room door with Julian in tow. 

Her heart was hammering in her chest and she finally turned the door knob with a soft click. She peaked at the dark hallway and sighed in relief. Both her parents were probably fast asleep. 

"Wait here. Once the coast is clear I'll wave at you to come over," She told him. 

Julian stayed put while she crept past her parents room and walked halfway down the stairs. She squinted at the kitchen, making sure there was no one there doing some late night binging before she signaled for him to join her. 

Despite his tall frame, Julian made little to no sound as he joined her. They reached the back door and she quickly unlocked it, not wanting to waste precious time. Lola relaxed further when she breathed in the fresh air from outside. 

She did it. She'd kept him safe till now and somehow that gave her a weird sense of accomplishment. 

They all but ran across the street to where Damien was waiting. He had parked under a large tree and they were obscured by the shadows from its massive branches. The moment he saw them, Damien got out and rushed to Julian. 

"Dude, you have no idea how happy I am to see you. Glad you're okay," Damien embraced his friend in a brotherly hug while Lola stood by the side idly. 

She was happy. She really was but there was a gnawing feeling in her gut. A small fear that told her this might be the end. 

"Thanks bro. I owe it all to Lola," Julian winked at her and she smiled back meekly before shifting her gaze to her feet. 

It was only then did Damien acknowledge her presence. He turned to her and eyed her through his dark eyes that glinted in the moonlight.

"Oh yeah, the girl who didn't want to make out." He smirked making her squirm in embarrassment. 

"What?" Julian eyed them in shock. 

"Listen, you guys better leave. If the neighbors hear us, we're dead," Lola said seriously and then both the boys nodded. 

"I'll be in touch," Damien told her and then he got into the driver's seat. 

Julian watched their exchange silently and then he turned his attention to her. "What happened to your pretty boy type and leaving it to your imagination, huh?" 

"We didn't make out," Lola grumbled and then she pushed him towards the passenger seat. "Now go."

Julian let her push him as he got in but before shutting the door he grabbed her hand. 

"Lola, I will never forget this. You. Thank you for everything," He said in a dead serious voice that made her gulp. "See you soon." 

He released her, shut the door and the jeep zipped away silently, leaving Lola to her thoughts. She didn't want to admit it but his last words were playing in her head over and over again like a broken recorder. 

See you soon. 

Could that mean that this wasn't the end? That he was going to stay here and figure it out?

She locked up everything and snuck back up to her room but now Lola was wide awake. Her body buzzed with adrenaline and excitement. She couldn't sleep and after struggling for about an hour she gave up and put on the drama they had been watching. 

But watching this time was different because instead of concentrating on the story she heard Julian's voice criticizing the male lead and the ridiculous plot. She quickly shut the thing off and lay in bed staring at the ceiling. 

Could it be that she actually missed him? 

***

"Why do you look so miserable?" Nalini pointed out the moment she reached Lola who was sitting alone by a school bench. 

Lola straightened up and brushed a non-existent strand of hair away from her face. "I'm not miserable. I'm happy. It's finally over, the package has been delivered." 

"You mean the six foot one package?" Nalini sniggered making Lola scowl.

"You don't have to speak in code. There's no one else here," Hanna said. "And I agree you do look pretty miserable. Do you miss him?" 

"What? No...no," Lola replied in a shrill voice making both her friends raise their eyebrows. 

"Don't tell me you've started to have feelings for him?" Nalini sat down and stared at her friend crossly. "He's one of them, Lola." 

She pointed at a bunch of cheerleaders and popular kids who had walked into the school. They were laughing and flirting with Tyrone King, Damien and Julian's buddy. 

"Yeah, he was but so what? He's still human," Lola stared after the handsome Tyrone. His smooth dark skin clashed against the white jersey he was wearing, making him stand out even more. He made a joke and all the girls around him giggled profusely like he'd just said the funniest thing in the world.

"Lola, we helped him and that's that. It's over. Girls like us don't end up with boys like that," Hanna said honestly, making Lola feel even worse. 

"Yes," Nalini leaned in, her dark eyes alight like fire. "Julian was only nice to us because he needed us. Has he ever talked to us once before? The only interactions we've had with him was when he bullied us a few years ago." 

Bricks of doubt settled in Lola's stomach, getting heavier and heavier by the second. Her friends were right and sometimes the truth sucked. She thought about all her conversations with Julian these past two days, including the teasing and awkward moments. 

"Just admit it. It was something outside our comfort zone, we had fun and now it's over," Nalini said. 

"But it isn't. He's practically still in hiding," Lola argued quietly. It was beginning to get more and more crowded now that school was about to start. 

"Whatever. That isn't our problem anymore," Nalini reinforced while Hanna and Lola exchanged looks. 

"I guess you're right," Lola replied half heartedly. 

"It does feel a little anti-climatic," Hanna added. "But now we can focus on our project for the science fair?" 

"And maybe you can try to talk to Tyler again?" Nalini suggested, no doubt trying to make Lola feel better. 

"And what about your dear Damien?" Lola shot back. 

"I guess it wasn't meant to be. Like Hanna said, girls like us don't end up with guys like them. I'll just admire him from afar like Princess Fiona."

"Princess Fiona never-"

Lola was cut off by Hanna's frantic tone. "I think you might have spoken to soon, Nalini."

Hanna's two friends turned around and Lola's eyes widened in shock when she saw Damien Reed walking their way. All the other juniors around them stared at him as well and no one expected him to take a seat at their bench. 

Nalini looked like she was about to fall off her seat. 

"Hey girls," He said casually but none of them replied. Even smart mouth Nalini was rendered speechless. 

Lola shifted uncomfortably, she could still feel everyone's eyes on them and it wasn't something she was used to. 

Damien leaned in and whispered, unfazed by their gawking. "We can't discuss here for obvious reasons so I was wondering if you girls would like to come over after school? Meet me at my car later?" 

Lola exchanged a look with both her friends before returning her gaze to Damien. Looks like their little escapade with Julian was far from over.