Chapter 37

Word count: 1960

Diego's POV

*

"Finally." I muttered immediately I parked my car and locked it. It had been a tiring day.

I heaved a sigh while climbing the stairs to my apartment, glad I would at least be seeing the one person that cared about me most in this world, my doting and loving girlfriend.

Because we had to host some impromptu clients this afternoon and I'd been recently promoted to a managerial position in the company, I called Adrian to tell her I would be home late but her phone was switched off. Anyway, I'm finally home now.

I whistled on my way up but paused for a moment when I got to my door and saw that it was locked.

Did Adrian go out? She should've texted me. I shrugged. Maybe she forgot. Since she went out yesterday, I could tell she'd been in a bad mood so on my way home today, I didn't forget get her some snacks and a beautiful purple short dress which I knew she would love. Thank goodness the store was still open.

Come to think of it, she hadn't even replied any of my text messages since morning, confirming my thoughts that she was in a bad mood.

Shrugging, I unlocked the door and whistled my way in. After taking off my shoes and changing to slippers, I went to drop my things and take off my clothes so I could shower.

Immediately I showered, I strolled out of my room in my towel. Then called her number for the fifth time today but it still didn't get connected.

This made me frown.

Randomly, my eyes moved to the spot she usually had her charger plugged and my heart skipped a beat when I didn't spot the charger there. I wasn't even exaggerating, Adrian never took her charger from that spot. She had spare chargers which she would use in Kara's place or any other place she went.

Panic arose inside me me and I quickly rushed to the room.

"No. This can't be happening. Please. Anything but this." I muttered, praying to the heavens that it wasn't what I was thinking that'd actually happened.

But my steps faltered when I looked at the spot where she had her mini traveling bag. It was empty.

I checked the wardrobe and saw some of her clothes and shoes were missing.

My shoulders slumped as the earth quaked beneath me. Why? Where could she possibly go? And why did she leave me?

Series of questions rang aloud in my head simultaneously but all I could think of was the painful fact that she'd just left. Left me. What did I do wrong?

My heart was heavy, my body numb as I just stood in a spot helplessly. My mind was in a turmoil.

Thinking back to the last few days, I furrowed my brows, wondering if I'd done anything to upset her but I couldn't think of any.

Where could she be? What could've happened?

I quickly dialed Kara's number.

Every second of waiting for Kara to pick her phone felt like a total agony for me.

"Hello?" Kara's voice sounded tired as if she was taking a nap when I woke her.

"Kara, is Adrian with you?"

"No. Why?"

"She wasn't at home when I got back a while ago. Some of her things are also missing."

"What? When did she leave the house?"