Chapter 48

PS, I WROTE THIS CHAPTER WHILE STANDING ON A QUEUE AT THE BANK. TOOK ME 5HRS BEFORE IT GOT TO MY TURN. I WAS SO BORED BUT SO INSPIRED TO WRITE THIS CHAP. MY BACK HURTS LIKE CRAZY THO 😒😒

Word count: 2611

Unedited

Diego's POV

*

I had to come up with an excuse for Adrian so she wouldn't want to come with me to see Kara and my mom.

She was insistent, saying she would stay and chat some more while I could leave after seeing them but I told her I wouldn't be seeing them till noon, and that instead I was only going to hang out with Stephano at his favorite bar this morning.

I felt bad for lying to her but I had to. I didn't want her to know why I wanted to speak to Kara. I didn't want her to even find us talking suspiciously, so she wouldn't begin to overthink. She probably wouldn't, but it was better to be safe than sorry.

I wanted to ask Kara to give me good ideas about how I'd propose to Adrian and I didn't want to do that over the phone.

I was very good at these things, giving Stephano the proposal idea he later used when he wanted to propose to Kara and even giving Mark an idea on what Cindy would probably like but when it came to mine and Adrian's turn, I became blank.

I'd thought over it for a while now and knew I probably wouldn't be satisfied with whatever I decided because I was still somehow nervous- no, very nervous about us. Yes she'd repeatedly told me she loved me and she even said she wanted to be my Mrs but what if she changed her mind?

What if she slept and woke up tomorrow and decided to leave me again?

I drove into Stephano's estate with furrowed brows, looking around at the trees that lined the path even though I was lost in my own thoughts.

One of their maids came to welcome me and I handed her the beauty kit I'd gotten for Kara and my mom.

When I gave her a smile as I answered her greeting, she scurried off, a huge smile on her face. I rolled my eyes and hoped I didn't give her any hint that I liked her or something because my mind was filled with Adrian and my proposal at the moment.

I went straight to the kitchen, only to be surprised for the first time ever that my mum wasn't in there. Even though she was no longer working for Stephano, she was always in the kitchen, either writing or trying some new recipe.

Shrugging, I sat in the sitting room and waited for Kara, who came down about a minute later.

"So, what brings you here?" Kara asked with an attitude, eyeing me like a peasant as she alighted the stairs. She was wearing a red jumpsuit with heels, obviously on her way out.

"Don't I usually visit?" I opened my arms to her, making her roll her eyes as she touched the stairs and came to sit beside me.

"You didn't visit for a while and you shrugged me off when I told you we were worried! I should've just brought mama to your house regardless of your nonsensical words!"

"But I told you I was fine."

"Well I knew something was wrong, whether you want to admit it or not. I felt very upset but you acted as if my feelings didn't matter." She stated crossly.

I could sense she was still upset about me ignoring her so I conceded.

"I'm sorry."

She eyed me warily. "That's new, coming from someone that's always right."