The Academy

*edited*

"Mom, I already told you—I don't want to go," I say, slumped on my bed, glaring at the Jansport bag stowed in my closet.

"Honey, I'm sorry. I know you're still hurting, but this is what happens when you make poor choices. We moved to this town for a reason, and now it's time for you to get your ass up and go to school." She sweeps into my room, briskly pulling the bag from the closet.

I snatch the bag from her hand, my grip tightening as I start stuffing in clothes and other essentials.

You're probably wondering why I'm giving my mom such a hard time. To be honest, she's dealing with a lot, but I'm just not ready to return to school. We moved to this new town for a fresh start a few months ago, and now, as September draws to a close, my options are limited—go willingly or be dragged.

After my sister passed away, I spiraled into depression and started acting out. My parents tried everything to keep me on the straight and narrow, but I was always pushing boundaries, constantly disobeying them. My rebellion hit a breaking point when I got arrested for something serious. That's when my parents and the courts decided I needed discipline. Enrolling me in Black Hill Academy, a place where I'd supposedly learn to conform. They refused to elaborate, insisting I'd find out once I got there. From the sound of it, my stay wouldn't be pleasant.

"Mom, I seriously don't understand why you have to send me there. I'm perfectly fine. I'll start behaving better, I swear," I protest, scratching at my wrist.

She notices my movements and grabs my wrist, revealing the fine scars etched across it. "This is why, Daisy. You barely eat, you self-harm, and your attitude is intolerable. After everything we've been through, we just can't handle it anymore. Please, sweetie, I know this isn't ideal, but I don't have any other choice." Tears well up in her eyes, and I can see she's on the verge of breaking.

I glance up at her and, realizing how much pain I'm causing, decide it's best to comply. Maybe this place will help me find some balance. Once my bags are packed, my father arrives to help carry them downstairs, loading them into the car. With everything ready, I slide into the back seat, bracing myself for the long drive.

"Here, sweetie, I made you a sandwich for the ride," my mom says, trying to hand me the food.

I can't even muster a smile. "No, thanks, Mom. I'm not hungry," I reply, my voice barely above a whisper. It hasn't been long since the incident, and the weight loss is still a new struggle. I've lost my appetite; eating just feels like a chore. I drink water to stay hydrated, but real food? Not so much. Today isn't a day for eating.

"Daisy, you need to eat. It's a long trip to the academy," my father chimes in from the driver's seat.

"Dad, it's fine. I had something earlier when you were getting ready," I lie, hoping he won't press further.

"Hmm, okay, Daisy," he responds, not entirely convinced.

*Three hours later*

"Daisy, wake up, darling. We're here," my mom says, gently shaking my shoulder.

I yawn and stretch, my eyes taking in the massive structure looming ahead. It's imposing, with its tall gates and sprawling grounds. I say my goodbyes to my parents, grab my luggage, and step out of the car. This is where my new chapter begins.

———————————————————————————

Author note:

I hope you guys enjoyed the first chapter!! Let me know if you have any comments or questions!