Chapter Nine (Rye POV)

(Day: 5
Time: Early morning)

It was snowing. Snowing yes indeed, the snow had already piled at a foot.

Not the heaviest I've seen though, I turned back and walked inside of the small restaurant we had found. The pool got overrun when the snow started.. So we had to move.

It's just a restaurant. Nothing special, most the food was taken. But some remained, so I wasn't bothered.

I sat at one of the few tables we left out.
I heard footsteps and turned my head to see Mint Choco run to me.

"He's getting worse."

I shook my head with a groan. Ever since I had shot the unlucky bartender, it had gotten infected. I dunno how, perhaps the grime he had on himself caused it. It's not my fault, fully.

I got up and walked to the back room with Mint Choco, Sparkling was laying on his back on a table, seemingly unconscious.

I could see sweat on his face, and he had a fever.

At first I hated the bastard, but before the infection got too bad he spoke a bit, he didn't seem to hold a grudge either. He was polite, and now I guess I believe that the murder was an incident. When we found him Mint Choco knocked him out thinking he was a zombie, but later when Sparkling woke he had to explain the blood.

What an idiot.

The only thing we're trying to prevent is him dying. But neither of us know how to cure infection. Mint Choco says he was only able to heal with his 'music' or whatever, and since his violin broke he couldn't help. I think that's bull, he obviously just doesn't know crap.

But then again, I know basically nothing either. We need a healer, Stat. But Herb is dead, Angel is dead, and who knows about Pure Vanilla and Custard.

At first I wanted to throw him out to save us the trouble, but Mint Choco convinced me outta it. This outbreak hit harder than I initially thought it would. But I don't care, really. I'm doing just fine. Those who can't fight have to say differently. I narrowed my eyes at Sparkling and watched Mint try to do 'his best' without his violin.

This is stupid. I'm bored. I walked outside again. The snow didn't stop the zombies at all, if anything it made them more active. Unusual. I walked down the street whistling and shooting.

I heard a huge group of Growls. Strange, they usually aren't that loud.
I peeked over the corner and saw a group of them, atleast a hundred. It was huge. Around 10-15 of them were surrounding a trailer.

Why? Survivors probably. But I've helped two people already. And those were just coincidences.. But eh, perhaps they'll pay me with ammo or something.

The real question though is how to get past the crowd. There are way to many of them to go again.

I looked through the trailers front window. Despite it being covered with blood, I saw two figures inside.

Two people, are they really worth saving?

To be honest, I don't think so, but the figures look kinds familiar. It wouldn't hurt to get a closer look.

And a closer look I got.

It seems the two figures are Dark Cacao and Pure Vanilla. What a shocker, but it's also a pain. Now that I know a healer is here, I have to save them. Otherwise Sparkling will die and Mint Choco will never let it go.

I sighed. I knew I was low on ammo and I had to get Pure Vanilla and Dark Cacao out. There were hundreds of zombies and shooting my gun would be a suicide wish. I know most trailers like that have an emergency latch on the top, but getting there is a whole other plan. I can't give up though, that would just cause more problems.

I found my way to get to the other side and I maneuvered my way to the balcony of an apartment, right above the trailer. I hopped down and opened the latch, hopping in.

Dark Cacao saw me first and he pointed his sword towards me, stupid right? Save it for the zombies.

"Relax, man. I'm here to help. Services for services, sound clear? If I get you out of this shitty mess I need ya to repay me later."

Pure Vanilla glanced towards me.

"Repay you how-?"

I rolled my eyes. Just accept the deal already you idiots.

"I need you to heal someone. That's it. Now will you accept my help or not."

"Of course we will-"

"No."

Dark Cacao interrupted Pure Vanilla

"Why not?"

I glared at him, he was making this much more difficult.

"We can get out ourselves."

"But Dark Cacao, someone needs my help. I'm not going to leave a person in need."

"We have to save my kingdom, Pure Vanilla. We agreed that came first."

"But they might not even- it's best to save who we can."

I interrupted them

"I honestly don't give a shit about who you gotta save, but I'm getting out of here now. Come with me if you want."

I tried atleast. I climbed back out the latch and climbed back up to the balcony before realising they were following. So I guess they weren't idiots after all. I led them back to the restaurant and made sure to block the doors with some extra tables. It seemed like more zombies were gathering in that herd.

Mint Choco ran over

"Dark Cacao- Pure Vanilla! Thank goodness"

Mint Choco thanked me for finding them, I shrugged it off.

Pure Vanilla asked

"Who needs healing-?"

Mint Choco replied

"Oh! Sparkling does, he's on a table over there- it's bad."

"Show me-"

Mint Choco led Pure Vanilla away and I turned to look out the restaurant windows. The herd was getting huge, anyone in those buildings are goners by now.
Oh well, that's their problem.

"We're staying the night."

"Pardon?"

I faced Dark Cacao

"Pure Vanilla will need time to heal Sparkling, and before we leave we'll need to rest up. So we're staying here until those zombies are gone."

"Geez, thanks for asking."

Dark Cacao went and headed towards Pure Vanilla and the others, and I shrugged before going to the blankets we had set up. While they go and worry over the bartender I'm gonna get me some shut eye. I closed my eyes and fell asleep.

          (1086 words)