20

Jeon Heejin's POV

I have a satisfied smile on my face as I enter our living room after washing the dishes. Kim Hyunjin woke me up early in the morning. She cooked breakfast for me, hihi. 

"You look stupid," she commented while playing video games, her eyes leaving me as she shifted the monitor back to the monitor. 

"You mean cute?" I said, sitting beside her. She made choking noises, causing us to laugh. 

I watched as she played the game like a pro. She's been hanging out with Hyeju too much. I can't even beat her in one game now. 

She reached the finish line and it showed that she placed first. She gave me a smug smile and went back to playing. 

I scooted over to her and asked, "Do you mind if I rest my head on your shoulder?" 

She didn't say a thing and just adjusted the height of her shoulder so I could put my head on it comfortably. I placed my head on her shoulder and I felt her move closer. I smiled at that. 

We stayed like that for a while, and all of a sudden, the front door opened. I thought it was one of our friends, but it's Hwihyeol. 

She was still not aware of our presence as she took off her shoes and turned around, seeing me and Hyunjin. 

"Good morning," she said.

Right. She didn't come home last night. She vanished yesterday afternoon and didn't come back. I examined her and noticed that she was wearing different clothes. 

"Where have you been?" I stood up, looking at her. It feels like I'm looking at myself in the mirror. We coincidentally dyed our hair back to black a few days ago. Though she looks haggard compared to me.

"Somewhere" she said. That's always her answer to me whenever she goes missing at night and comes back in the morning. 

She walked past me and I smelled hints of strawberries, cigarettes, and alcohol, making me let out a sigh. 

"You went out to drink again?" it's the third time this week. 

"Chill, I was with Yujin," she said, walking into the kitchen to drink cold water. 

She went back into the living room after a few moments, and we looked at each other. 

"Hyeol, let's talk." 

We both turned to Hyunjin, who paused the game to look at the person next to me. 

"There's nothing to talk about, Hyunjin," Hyeol said, with no expression on her face and no emotion in her voice. 

"There's a lot to talk about, Hwihyeol. What the fuck are you doing to yourself?" Hyunjin stood up. 

Hyeol stayed quiet. 

"Please, let's talk, Hyeol," Hyunjin said. She glanced at me. She was asking if it was alright. I nodded my head and she looked at my twin again. 

Hyeol looked away, not managing to look at Hyunjin's eyes. She nodded, and Hyunjin smiled. 

"I'll be in my room," I said, excusing myself, but Hyeol grabbed my right hand. 

"Stay," she whispered, while holding my hand tightly. 

"I know it'll be awkward for you, but please, stay," she mumbled, looking at me with pleading eyes. I could not resist her, so I nodded. I stayed by her side. 

"Say what it is you want to say now," Hyeol said, still not meeting Hyunjin's gaze. 

"Hyeol, I know you're hurt, but please stop doing shits that can harm you. Smoking isn't good for you, and since when did you even learn how to smoke?" Hyunjin sounded like a mom. 

"It makes me calm, alright?" Hyeol answered. 

Hyunjin heaved a sigh and pinched the bridge of her nose. 

"Why do you even care about me, Hyunjin?" Hwihyeol asked. 

"Because you're my best friend. You're still my best friend, Hyeol." Hyunjin said that caused Hyeol to smile, but I can see pain in her eyes. 

"Right. I'm sorry. I'll try to be my old self now. Sorry for making you worry" Hyeol said, letting go of my hand.

"Hyeol" Hyunjin called her, but she pretended to hear nothing and head upstairs.

"I can't even talk to her properly now" I heard her mumble under her breath.

"She'll be fine. Just give her time." I patted her back, consoling her.

We made our way back to the couch, and she laid down on it, resting her head on my lap. 

"What do we do to her?" she asked, looking at me. 

"I honestly don't know anymore," I said. She won't listen to me. 

She heaved a sigh again and shut her eyes. My hands slowly went to her hair and softly entangled it with my fingers. She let me do that as long as she kept her eyes closed. My eyes examined her face closely. How can she be this pretty? I swear this girl makes every female look unattractive. 

"You're staring again," she said as she fluttered her eyes open. 

"I can't help it. You're too pretty not to look at," I said, making her chuckle. 

It was all good until the front door opened again and my parents stepped in. Hyunjin and I gave Mom and Dad confused looks, and Hyunjin hurriedly got up to greet them. 

"Where's Hwihyeol?" Dad asked after talking to Hyunjin. 

"She's upstairs, I'll call her." I went to Hyeol's room, knocking on her door. 

"Hyeol, open up, mom and dad are here," I said. What are they even doing here?

"Hyeol." I waited for her to open up, but she didn't. 

"Hyeol, I'm going in." I opened the door and saw her lying in her bed, sleeping. 

I walked towards her, locking the door behind me. I smelled her and she still reeks of cigarettes and alcohol. 

I shook her to wake her up, which worked.

"What?" she whined.

"Get up. Mom and dad are downstairs" I said, startling her.

"They're here????" she asked.

"Yes. They're looking for you" as usual.

"Shit." she smelled herself and cursed once more.

"I'm gonna take a shower" she said, getting out of bed.

"You better do." I said, and went downstairs.

I saw my parents acting nice in front of Hyunjin. Fakes. It's annoying.

"Hyunjin, let's go?" I said. We don't have anything planned, but I don't want to stay here.

"What? Ah, yeah. Let's go now. We'll be leaving now, Aunt and Uncle" she politely bowed at them, and I pulled her away from that place.