13 // in which jen is not the bride

Listening to music has always been everyone's cure, isn't it? Or maybe not. Maybe they prefer to read a book, go on a bike ride, run until their mind is at peace, or eat. Whatever it is, I'm just glad that I've found mine.

          “Jen!”

          Groaning lightly, I spin around to face the person who called me and place my hands on my sides. “What now?”

          “I need your help—”

          “Well, that's a first. So yes, I'll be happy to—”

          “—I need you to shut your damn music. It's making my ears bleed with their loud whiny voices. I should've known you'd be into this crap.”

          Gasping loudly, an offended look etching across my features. I certainly didn't expect that. However, I've grown to his insults and complaints so I'm not really as affected as I should've been. 

          Joshua smiles falsely, and says with so much sarcasm where I want to slap it away—if that was possible of course, “Thank you.” Then, he starts to stride out of the kitchen.

          But before he entirely leaves the room, my hand quickly reaches for the volume button on my phone and turn it up to the maximum level. An evil smile creeps onto my face as he stops in his tracks and turns to me with an irritated expression. “No, Joshua Carter. Thank you. I've finally found a way to make you bleed to death.”

          “You are impossible.” Then, he starts marching towards me, his eyes on my phone, staring at it with hatred. He's coming close, so close. Screw his long legs. 

          Before he can snatch it, I grab it from the counter and immediately stuff it in my bra. It gives a cold feeling, but that slowly disappears as the beat of Beyoncé's song Grown Woman emits from the speakers. I let out a sound of delight, and my face lights up. Looking at Joshua, I tell him, “It's Beyoncé!”

          He gives me an uninteresting look, deadpanning, “No . . . it's her song, not her.” Then, she starts singing.

          Ignoring his correction of being literal with me, I start jumping slightly and moving my arms around to the upbeat song. “Look at me, I'm a big girl now, said I'm gon' do somethin'.”

          “Yeah, I can totally see it.”

          “Told the world I would paint this town, now betcha I run this!”

          “Now—”

          “'Cause I put it!”

          “Oh for goodness sake, Jen. Stop dancing around me in circles. It's really creeping me out.”

          I laugh, still bouncing around and arms flailing. “You know you're loving the song, Joshua. Just embrace Beyoncé and dance with me!”

          “Once again, it's her song—”

          “I'm a grown woman! I can do whatever I want.” Next, I take Joshua's hands and bring myself under it as if he's twirling me, but it's really just me doing it myself while he just stands there with a confused smile. Then, I start doing some sort of cha-cha dance just playing with his hands in mine. It's obvious how he's stopping himself from grinning, and how he's trying not to dance along with me.

          I leave his hands when the second verse starts. “They love the way I walk,” I sing along as I attempt to strut away from him—which I’m very sure looks clumsy, but I couldn't care less. “'Cause I walk with a vengeance.”