08 // in which jen is a drama queen

Hearing a silent thud and then a yelp from a distance, my eyes flutter open to the bright harsh sunlight and I groan slightly.

          I groggily rub my eyes as I swing my legs to the side of the bed, and stand up, stretching my back and arms. Glancing at the clock on the drawer, I realize that it’s nine-oh-three a.m. I usually wake up at eleven for work, but nine? Why on earth is it noisy so early in the morning? I feel like a zombie, really, because I haven’t had enough sleep last night. I hear another grunt, and remember that Joshua slept over yesterday. My eyebrows furrow as I slip into my slippers and walk in the direction to where the noise is being emitted from.

          “Joshua?” I call out, my throat rough.

          I hear a hum of reply, and I finally know what he’s doing once I step into the kitchen. He’s going through my cupboards; most of them are closed, but some are still open. I lean my body on the door, and cross my arms. “What are you doing?”

          “Coffee machine,” he simply replies, his eyes still trained on the stacked ingredients and plastic boxes inside the compartment. He then leaves that open, and goes to the next one, doing the same. “But then again, I remembered that you’re not exactly a coffee girl. However, I’m not one to give in so . . .”

          “It’s on your left. All the way to the end.”

          At this, he twists his body, looking at me for the first time in the morning, and I him. I was expecting him to look as dead as me, but that’s not the case. He looks like he’s been awake all this time. His face is absolutely clear of any wrinkles, and his eyes aren’t droopy. He looks alive. And suddenly, I feel very self-conscious with my bare makeup face, knotted bed hair, transformers oversized shirt, and pair of pajama shorts.

          He retracts his hands from the handles of the compartment, and fully turns to me. “But you don’t like coffee?”

          I smile wryly, rubbing my arm awkwardly. “It was my roommate’s. Melanie.”

          After a second of looking bemused, he nods in understanding. “Ah, the backstabber.”

          “Labeling people now, are you?”

          He shakes his head. “Just her.” Then, he turns towards the direction where the coffee machine is at, and my eyes widen in realization. “Wait, you didn’t—” But it’s already too late. He’s already bumped into the opened shelf of the compartment. He winces, a pained expression across his face, and rubs the spot roughly.

          I snicker, and hide my growing grin behind my hand. He shoots me a glare, and I beam at him, lowering my hand. “I warned you.”

          He scoffs, complaining, “You weren’t fast enough.”

          “And you weren’t careful enough,” I counter, smiling smugly at him.

          “. . . Do you realize that we just made an innuendo?”

          “Oh, for the love of—”

          “Good morning,” he interjects, half-smiling.

          “It was,” I say, rolling my eyes, “until I saw you.”

          »          »          »

          I drag my feet across the rough pavement with a slouched back while grumbling at Joshua’s ridiculous obsession for coffee that he had to force me to come with him to buy packs of coffee beans since there aren’t any anymore.