18 // in which jen deals with a pregnancy scare

Something's wrong. Or perhaps, going to happen.

Because it's Sunday, it's my day off from work and I decide to stop slouching in my couch at home for the day. I need to do something. I'm at the point in life where everything I do and everywhere I go is absolutely boring. Nothing seems to excite me anymore. Sure, I have the determination to do something, but what?

This always happens.

I throw my head back against said couch, and huff out a breath. I'd ask for some ideas from Joshua, but he went out earlier in the morning. He's been going a lot the past week, and I no longer bother him about his whereabouts, because he gives the same lie again, and I can't seem to care anymore.

When my phone buzzes next to me, I glance at the screen while putting it next to my ear. "Please tell me you have a brilliant plan, Tim. Like, going to the zoo or something."

"I wish I could," he responds in a tired voice. "But I'm afraid going to the zoo will never be one of our plans in the future."

I heave a sigh. "I know. I just had to suggest something. Anyway, why'd you call?"

"We sorta have a problem. Layla—uh, she's acting really weird."

Curious, my eyebrows raise and I ask, "Weird, how?"

"She's freaking out about . . . not having her period on time?" he replies in confusion and with a little awkwardness.

I chuckle, telling him, "It's normal, Tim. Tell her that."

"Hold on, I'll put you on speaker." Then, I hear a beep and some movement. "Layla! Jen wants to talk to you."

"Did you tell her?"

"Yeah, I had to. You were getting out of control—"

"Jen! I think—give me the phone, Tim!"

"Hey, that's my phone! Don't you dare drop it."

Then I hear more movement that sounds like they're playing tug of war with Tim's phone. After a few seconds of finally settling down, I hear Layla's voice. "Okay, I've got it. Jen, you there?"

"Yes."

"Okay, so you know how I never have my period late? It's either early or on time, but never late."

I stop laying on the couch, and lean forwards to rest my elbows on my thighs. "It's normal to have that, Lays. Every girl experiences it, even me."

"But this is the first time!" she argues, her voice going a few octaves higher in panic. "I think I'm—I'm . . ."

"What, pregnant?" I tease sarcastically, rolling my eyes.

She pauses for a while before replying with uncertainty, " . . . yes?"

"Layla!" I say sharply, my eyes wide. "You can't joke about something like that. I'm sure it's not that serious."

"See?" Tim yells distantly from the background. "I told you she's freaking out!"

"Shut up, Tom," Layla shouts back.

Before they start to argue, I quickly suggest, "How about we go out for lunch?"

"Good idea. Where?"

I press my lips together, thinking of a place that I can possibly be craving for. "Okay, I know a place, though I don't think you've been there before."

"As long as the food's delicious, I don't care."

"Me too!" Tim cries yet again from a distance.