03 // in which jen loses her hair

“Okay, lesson number one, you’re going to have to lose your hair—“

           “What?”

          Layla glares. “Let me finish, Sparks. Like I said, you have to lose your hair, and add a little—“

          “Can you at least elaborate by me losing my hair? Because, Layla, I’m pretty sure a bald woman wouldn’t attract Seth’s attention—not that I would even allow you to lose my hair.”

          She groans, plopping herself down onto my couch, an exasperated look etched across her face. “You’re being really impossible right now, Jen. I feel like stabbing you, you know?”

          “I feel the love, Lays.”

          Ignoring my sarcasm, she says, “What I’m trying to say, Jen, is that you need a different look, right? So by saying losing your hair, I meant by giving you a new hairstyle.”

          I frown. “What’s wrong with my hair now?”

          She scrunches her nose a little. “It’s a little too . . . plain.”

          I subconsciously touch my straight strawberry blonde hair, and run my fingers through it. “It’s not plain,” I defend.

          “Oh, honey.”

          I roll my eyes. “You’re being a bitch right now, Layla.”

           She snorts. “Oh, please. I’m sure Tim would say the same thing.”

           “No, he wouldn’t.”

           The next thing I know, Layla has her iPhone out in her hands, and she’s dialing a number. I’m not dumb enough to not know that she’s calling Tim. I roll my eyes, and cross my arms under my chest. Tim wouldn’t say that, right? Layla taps on her phone one more time, making it loudspeaker, so I can hear their conversation.

          “Hello?”

          “Do you think Jen’s hair is plain?” Layla quickly asks, eyeing me.

          “I—uh—yeah?”

          I gasp. “Tim!”

          “Oh, hey Jen! Yeah, I’m sorry about that, but it’s true. I’m sorry.”

          I scowl at a smirking Layla. Then, I take her phone from her hands, and speak, “Well, at least you said it politely, and apologized. You’re forgiven, Tim.”

          Layla drops her smirks, and a look of disbelief quickly appears on her features. “What?”

          I give her a fake smile. “Sorry, Layla, you’re still a bitch. And Tim, thank you for your honesty. You’re the man.”

          He laughs through the phone. “Hell yeah, I am.”

          Layla glares, and then snatches her phone back from me. “Bye, Tim!” Then, she hangs up on him, and then shoves her phone back into her back pocket. “Really, Jen?”

           I protectively cross my arms under my chest again, and reply, “I’m not going to change my hairstyle. I like my plain one.”

          “You wanna bet?”

          “Fine. Whatever.”

          »          »          »