VI: The [Stupid] Fatui

"Fucking hell, that hurt my body so much."

Aether chuckles at your complaint as Paimon drowsily floats beside you, "I'm sooo hungry, when do we get to eat that Sticky Honey Roast that Amber promised?"

You walk up the stairs towards the smaller fountain by the plaza and notice Jean talking to someone, "Look, isn't that Jean?"

Paimon nods, "You're right! Let's let her finish, then go say hi."

As Aether and Paimon are wrapped in their own conversation, you peek your head to the edge of the building, where you can eavesdrop on their conversation better, "...Which is what has brought us to this point in the first place. If you're unable to promptly deal with the Stormterror threat, then leave the defense of Mondstadt to the Fatui. We can put an end to Mondstadt's dragon issues, and all we need to do is bring that monster to the—"

Jean crosses her arms, " 'Monster' ?"

The masked woman places her hands on her hips, as if daring Jean to correct her, "Yes. What's your point?"

"Ah... I'd expect a more professional attitude from your diplomats, yet here you are, saying you want to 'put an end' to one of The Four Winds of Mondstadt? I won't have any of this nonsense in front of the Knights of Favonius."

Ha! That's the Acting Grand Master for you! Jean = 1; Masked girl = 0.

The woman cackles loudly, "It's not as crazy as you make it sound... but fine. That's enough negotiation for today. At this stage it's simply..."  She fans herself, as if to mock Jean, "An amicable exchange of constructive opinions, no?"

Her eyes shift from Jean to your general direction. You quickly hide behind the building, hoping the woman didn't notice you, "I'll be sure to make... thorough notes..."

The woman walks away, and you nudge at Aether, signalling to them that Jean had finished her conversation.

Paimon flies out of your hiding spot and salutes The Acting Grand Master, "Oh, you're all back. Thanks for your help. The elemental flow is finally stable, and the aftermath of Stormterror's last attack is finally settled for the moment. However," she watches the woman's retreating figure, "The pressure from the delegation has become too big to be ignored..."

Aether follows behind and Paimon asks, "Delegation? From Liyue Harbor or Inazuma City?"

Jean sighs, "Snezhnaya. They choose to follow the God of Cryo, and their envoys go by a particular name: The Fatui. Heard of them?"

"Oh them, they are super famous... Wait," the fairy pauses, "Infamous is more of the word."

The older woman nods, "I don't think killing Stormterror is the best course of action. The Cryo God's Fatui have always coveted the Anemo God's power—plus, I don't think they have Mondstadt's best interests at heart."

Aether hesitates and looks up at Jean, "Speaking of power..."

Jean's focus shifts to your golden-eyed friend, "What is it, Aether?"

"There's something I need to show the Knights of Favonius."

The woman's interest piqued, "Oh? Let us head back to the headquarters, then. We shouldn't discuss important matters... out in the open."

You ask Jean about the Fatui as you look around for any eavesdroppers, suddenly aware of what you did earlier, "So Jean, what's up with that? The 'wanting to handle matters on their own'?"

She leads you all up the stairs, "Mondstadt and Snezhnaya are considered the same in status. Mondstadt is independent, and does not belong to any other nation. In fact," She pauses, waiting for you to catch up as Aether drags you up the staircase, "Despite being referred to as a city, Mondstadt is a nation. Though Snezhnaya's Fatui are known to be the most aggressive diplomats in Teyvat..."

Paimon huffs as the older woman opens the door to the headquarters and invites you all in, "Given the tone of the woman just now—so rude!"

-

Aether takes out the crystal you found in the forest earlier and lets the others observe it. You stare at the iridescent crystal in fascination, how it floats on Aether's palms effortlessly while Lisa's face conjures that of curiosity. Though despite its flashy colours, you feel compelled not to touch it by any means.

"It's a crystal embedded with some kind of power... Lisa, are you able to analyze it?"

"Let me take a look," The Librarian hums, "Hm... I can see impurities in the crystal, but upon further inspection..."

She squints at the teardrop-like crystal. You hold your breath in anticipation.

"No, I'm sorry, I can't make a proper analysis at the moment. Give me some time. I'll take a look through the library's restricted section."

Jean nods, "Right. I'll leave the research to you then. Lisa."

You release your breath as Lisa sighs, "Understood. I'll notify you all if I make any progress. Though I wouldn't get your hopes up," She chuckles, her hand extending to take the crystal from your friend, "They are incredibly ancient texts, not to mention—ouch!"

Lisa recoils her hand and you look at her with concern, "Are you okay, Lisa?"

She nods towards you, trying her best to grace a smile your way, "Yes, but gosh, that hurt! The impurities in the crystal... It hurts when I get close..."

Hm, so I was right about the 'no touching the crystal'.

She rubs her hand as she makes a conclusion, "I see... that it appears to react to Visions. The impurities and the elemental energy we embody repel each other. It's strange though..."

She looks up from the crystal, "Aether has elemental abilities as well, but doesn't seem to be affected in the same way."

Beside you, Aether furrows his brows. Lisa chuckles, "Anyway, the crystal would be better left at the hands of my cutie. It will just be a pain if left with us—both literally and metaphorically."

Cutie? Damn right he is, you thought.

Jean puts a finger on her chin, "...Fascinating. Do you know anything about what makes you special, Aether?"

He shakes his head.

"I don't know what to make of it either... Well then, Aether, Y/N. The Knights of Favonius have another favour to ask of you."

Paimon cocks her head, "What could it be?"

Jean smiles, "Please accept the title of Honorary Knights and the gratitude of the Acting Grand Master."

Paimon's and your eyes widen in shock, "Honorary Knights... of Favonius!?"

Holy shit, I barely did anything, though?

The ocean-eyed woman places a hand on her chest, "We ask for your continued assistance in finding some answers. Stormterror's rage... and strange crystals... I know Mondstadt's peace hangs in the balance."

Aether puts the crystal away and you smile at Jean as she concludes her spiel, "May the wind open your eyes to the truth. We'll meet back here if you find anything."

You and Aether say your thanks to Jean. Your blond friend and his pixie companion make small talk with the librarian about the crystal, and you walk over to Jean, who seems to be deep in thought, "Hey Jean, can you tell me a bit more about the Fatui?"

She nods, "Of course. They are those people you saw in strange clothing earlier. They're delegates from Snezhnaya, and I'd advise you to stay away from them. Having contact with them is dangerous, even for innocent travellers."

You open your mouth to ask another question until Paimon calls you over. You look back at Jean, apologetically, "I'm sorry, but I'll have to ask you some other time."

"If you need anything, Y/N, you know where to find me. May the wind guide you."