Chapter 2 Leisure Time

The palace was full of people—the finest not only from the whole Lamyria but also many from the neighbouring kingdom of Torringland. Since Aliyah Gryphonheart was crowned, she worked relentlessly to ensure both nations kept their relations on an amicable level. In the beginning, the old noble families were outraged by the Queen's openness to share trade agreements with merchants from beyond the borders, but she was persistent. That's why now no one was surprised by so many outsiders attending a celebration feast at the palace.

Skylar and Gawyn were dancing among the other nobles in the central part of the ballroom.

"I've heard what happened today during the drills," Gawyn said, his grey eyes full of concern. "Are you all right?"

"Yes, it was nothing." Skylar shrugged.

"It certainly wasn't nothing. It happens more often lately, does it not?" Gawyn pressed.

"There's nothing we can do about it, so can you please drop it? For once, I'd like to not think about it and relax." She looked away.

"But sooner or later, there will come a time when we would have to address this."

"Later, please."

"Fine." Gawyn sighed and pressed her closer to his chest. "You look lovely today."

Skylar looked back at him with a smile. "Oh? Did you miss me when I was away?"

"Like crazy. Aliyah is driving me mad. You seem to be the only person who she listens to."

"Oh, and here I thought you missed my company." Skylar sighed dramatically.

Gawyn laughed. "That too." He kissed her forehead gently.

Suddenly, an ear-piercing sound of breaking glass filled the ballroom. The musicians stopped playing, and the people looked around to see the source of the commotion.

Skylar was already making her way through the crowd, her hand on the sword's hilt. When she finally got away from the throng of dancers, she stopped short, staring at the spectacle with her mouth open.

Something was charging through the ballroom dragging the long white cloth and the remaining tableware pieces behind. It took Skylar a moment to discern the shape of small lion paws and silver feathered wings. Behind it ran several servants trying and failing to catch the creature. A few paces further, a huffing elderly lady was trotting, clearly out of breath. The boy with chocolate hair was aiding her with his elbow to make sure she wouldn't fall.

"That relaxing time you wanted...." Gawyn said, appearing at her side with knitted brows. "I think it's over already."

"It would seem so, yes." Skylar sighed. "I'll get her, and you take care of the gryphon?"

"Yes, let's do that."

They parted ways, and Skylar rushed to help the elderly lady.

"I am so sorry, my lady. I tried to keep an eye on her, I swear, but she just disappeared and...." The woman huffed.

"It's fine, Madam Constance. Come, you need to rest now. Please, sit here." Skylar helped to steer the lady into the chair. The woman sighed heavily and wiped the sweat from her forehead with a beautifully embroidered handkerchief.

"Oh, I'm too old for it, I swear...."

"You're doing great, madam," Skylar gently patted the woman's shoulder. "Rest now and take it easy for the rest of the evening. I'll take care of her now."

"Gods bless you, my dear lady. I swear, I'm too old...." Skylar left the ranting governess and took the boy by the elbow, walking away.

"What happened this time, Kane? I thought you said you would keep an eye on her!"