Epilogue

The explosion was so massive that even in Lamyria, people could see its bright glow illuminating the eastern horizon. People stopped what they were doing and gazed at this incredible sight. They were used to seeing only darkness on that side of the firmament, so the brilliant radiance was something unexpected. And after a rough last week when so many people succumbed to the mysterious plague, the light somehow appeared as a beacon of hope.

A couple of days after, the watchtowers lit up in the middle of the night. Aliyah adjusted her dress as she hastened through the palace halls toward the courtyard. Aurora joined in, striding to her side with a quick bow of her head.

"How far are they?" the Queen asked.

"The gryphon was spotted over the mountains an hour ago," Aurora said, hardly containing the excitement. "They should be here soon."

"How is Thalia?"

"She's still asleep, but she does look much better," Aurora replied, a relief lacing her tone. "Just like the other patients. The healers say that it seems like the poison has suddenly stopped working. The victims accept more food, and the colouring gets back to their skin. If we are lucky, first people should start waking up any day now."

"That is a relief indeed." Aliyah let herself smile. "I bet we'll have to thank Gawyn and Sky for that."

"Let's hope they'd be here soon."

They reached the main palace gates and strode into the courtyard. The place was full of soldiers and other excited people, even despite the very late hour. Everyone was ecstatic to see the General and Colonel back from their heroic mission to the Blighted Lands.

After the grand explosion in the east, the kingdom was rigid with rumours and speculations. People were coming up with often ridiculous tales of heroism and bravery that led to the utter destruction of the whole Blighted Lands.

Aliyah didn't dare to hope for anything. The sole fact that the sick people were getting better was successful enough for her. When she saw the blaze of light on the horizon, she felt her heart sinking. The explosion must have been massive if they could see it from here. She was not sure if anyone could survive that.

But when she got the message that the gryphon was spotted heading towards Eaglepoint, she let herself hope. Her heart fluttered with anticipation when she was gazing at the eastern sky, and finally, she spotted the small black dot that was slowly getting bigger.

Gathered people started shouting and cheering loudly. No one even thought of containing their excitement.

When Zephyr got closer, Aliyah's heart clenched. There was just one person on his back.

And it was neither Gawyn nor Skylar.

Aliyah couldn't breathe, and her vision blurred. She closed her eyes, trying to contain the rising despair. It was a false hope then. All she wanted to do was get back to her room to let out the wail building inside. To cry and mourn and act like any grieving human being. But she was the Queen, and she had to be strong. All the people here would be shocked and look at her for reassurance. And she could not let her personal feelings affect her. She had a duty to perform.

She raised her chin and stepped forward as Zephyr landed heavily in the middle of the courtyard. The excited voices turned to cries of surprise and anguish. Both gryphon and his rider looked horrible, bloodied, bruised and half-starved. Zephyr's beautiful silver feathers were ruffled and torn in places, and he limped on one leg.

The young woman that jumped off his back didn't look any better. She barely kept her balance as she staggered toward the Queen and fell heavily on one knee, bowing her head. Her hair was filthy from dried brown blood, and her armour was torn in places and covered with blood splotches and other things Aliyah couldn't even identify. Her face was pale and gaunt, and her eyes looked haunted.