Chapter 7 The Care House

They gathered in the council room even though it was long past midnight. Aliyah's long purple hair was let loose, falling gracefully down her shoulders. She wore no crown nor jewels, and she looked a bit less imposing and more human as if her attire was an armour she was putting on before facing the court.

"I've just received a message from Teodric," she said. Since her time as ambassador in Torringland, she became well acquainted with the heir to the throne. After the coronation, she worked actively to keep close relations with the neighbouring nation.

The rumours flew through the court that the new Queen may be pushing toward union with Torringland through marriage, but Gawyn knew better than listening to the nonsense nobles were spouting. Aliyah did consider this political option, but it was only one of many opportunities worth pondering.

"They have a victim with the same symptoms as Thalia," the Queen continued, her face glum.

"Is it a person of significance too?" Gawyn asked.

"Yes, it's Teodric's closest cousin. The girl fainted during her music lesson after eating a snack. Her state is stabilised now, but they also don't know for how long."

"That's ill news indeed. That means the Blighted Lands are playing a much larger game here." Gawyn rubbed his chin covered with short stubble. He didn't even have time to shave with all that was going on, and the stiff dark hair covering his face was itching, but it was the least of his worries right now.

"That's not all," Aliyah continued her tone grave. "I've received news of more and more cases from all over Lamyria.

"What?" Skylar looked up in surprise. "How many more are we talking about?"

"Close to a hundred now, but every day, we receive reports with new cases. I know you are dying to help Thalia, but I'm afraid this thing is starting to be so much bigger than only her. Did you get any answers from the Spirit?"

Sky and Gawyn exchanged a troubled look. He sighed. "Yes, but we didn't get the answers we hoped for."

Gawyn retold the conversation they had with the Spirit. Aliyah was listening patiently, her mouth drawn in a thin line. When he finished, she nodded slowly.

"So, the only option we have might be to kill the sorcerer who is responsible for this poison?"

"That was my assumption, yes."

"But even if we get the one that is hiding in our city, there's no guarantee they are the right one."

"Precisely. But we must get that rat as soon as possible. We need more information before-"

"We'll have to go to the Blighted Lands," Skylar said quietly. Gawyn and Aliyah looked at her. "You know we will. It would make no sense for them to send the sorcerer responsible for the poison here, where they could be so easily caught."

"But the Blighted Lands... The border is unpassable," Aliyah said. "Even if we wanted to, we can't send an army there."

"No, we can't." Gawyn slowly nodded. "But Sky is right. I don't think finding the cure would be so easy. Not after how long they took to plan all this."

"Again, I get your point, but that doesn't change the fact that we physically can't cross the border," the Queen insisted.

Gawyn and Skylar exchanged glances again, and he grunted. "It could be flown over."

Aliyah opened her mouth and then closed them again. She narrowed her eyes. "I can't believe you discussed it already without telling me!" She huffed, getting back to the role of sister scolding her brother.