Chapter 8 The Sorceress

The royal audience hall was full of nobles. It was unusual considering the late hour, as the sun had already set, and the stars were twinkling outside the long stained-glass windows. People were whispering, their nervous voices echoing off the walls. The last few days were unsettling for everyone. More and more people succumbed to a mysterious illness, and no cure was in sight.

"Are you sure it's a good idea to do it in public?" Skylar asked. She stood with Gawyn at the back of the hall, not far from the throne, watching the anxious crowd.

"No, and I told this Aliyah many times already, but she decided to be stubborn about it."

"Well, the nobles claim the situation is out of control already, so I can't blame her for wanting to make a show of it." Skylar shrugged.

"Let's hope it won't turn against her."

The herald tapped his cane to the floor three times, silencing the crowd. "Queen Aliyah Gryphonheart! All hail the Queen!"

The crowd moved like a wave bowing their heads while Aliyah entered the hall. Her violet hair was styled in elaborated braids surrounding a heavy-looking gold crown. Her eyes were framed with dark kohl, and her lips were painted red, making her look as beautiful as any painting. Her long dress was a mixture of Lamyria and Torringland fashion - a heavy long skirt trailing behind her and a perfectly fitted bodice of the colour matching her hair, embroidered with the golden thread. The dress' sleeves were wide at her wrists, hanging almost down to the floor.

She moved with undisputable confidence and grace fitting the monarch, and there were no signs of worries or tiredness on her face. Sharp eyes under long lashes were scanning the crowd like an eagle looking for prey.

She sat on the throne and waved her hand. "Raise."

People straightened and looked at her expectantly. The Queen said nothing and continued to scan the faces of all present in the hall. Silence always made people nervous. It was unclear why the monarch gathered them all here this late today, although everyone knew about the most recent assassination attempt. But the nobles were cunning and clever creatures, and it would take more than a silent judgmental stare from the Queen to make them break and confess their wrongdoings.

"As all of you know," Aliyah started, her strong voice echoing through the hall, "a terrible illness has plagued our kingdom. We have reasons to assume the poison harming our people came from the Blighted Lands."

Horrified gasps echoed through the hall, and people started whispering. Aliyah let them talk for a moment, but the crowd immediately became silent when she raised her hand again.

"Thanks to the unrelenting work of our soldiers, we managed to capture the sorceress who was lurking in our city, causing chaos and mayhem with her dark magic." More surprised gasps. The Queen gestured to the guards. "Bring in the prisoner."

The massive door opened with a loud creak, and the heavy steps and clank of the chains reverberated through the hall. The nobles took a step back, making way for two soldiers leading a beautiful woman with her hands clad in heavy steel shackles. She wore a charming smile on her face as if she wasn't bothered by her predicament. Her confident strides were mocking those who stared at her with fear and dismay. Even though her robe was tattered and her skin bruised, there was a threatening aura surrounding her, keeping others at a safe distance.

"Put her in the circle," Aliyah ordered when the guards got closer to her.

The round shape was marked with white chalk on the floor in front of the throne, and different symbols surrounded it. It wasn't visible at first glance, but it was easy to spot once people knew something was there.