Chapter 9 Farewells

Skylar entered Thalia's room. Everyone else was going to the central plaza to watch the sorceress's execution, but she didn't feel like it was worth her time. She wanted to spend every remaining spare moment with her daughter. Especially now, it was inevitable that they would have to go to the Blighted Lands soon.

She was startled when she saw a furry and feathered creature lying on the bed next to Thalia. The pup gryphon looked up at her with golden eyes, and her tail swished twice in acknowledgement.

"You are just as worried as I am, aren't you?" she said and patted the creature's silver feathered head gently. Breeze was still young. She was born no longer than two years ago, so she was a bit clumsy and looked odd as if her proportions were off. She could fly already, just not for far distances. Thalia bonded with little gryphon right away, and they have been best friends ever since.

Breeze made a low shrieking sound, expressing her sadness and concern.

"I know. It's heartbreaking," Skylar whispered, looking back at Thalia.

The girl looked thinner after just a few days. The bones seemed to stick out from the narrow wrists, and her chubby face started to sink in. Skylar stifled a sob and stroked the pale cheek gently.

"I'll make it all better soon, I promise."

They just sat there in silence. The only sound was slow and quiet breathing. Skylar didn't know how much time had passed when Gawyn slid silently into the room.

"Is it done?" Skylar asked, not taking her eyes off Thalia.

"Yes. I'm guessing no change here?" Skylar shook her head slowly. "Well, we knew that would be too easy." He sighed and sat on the floor next to the bed, stroking Thalia's hand gently. "She looks so frail now."

"Do you think it's wise leaving her here alone?" Skylar asked, her voice shaking.

"She's not alone," Gawyn replied calmly. "Zachariah and Madam Constance will provide everything she needs. And Breeze will make sure she is safe and sound, won't you, Pup?" He scratched the gryphon under her beak, and she shrieked happily, swishing her tail rapidly. Gawyn looked back at Skylar. "But if you'd rather stay here, it's all right."

Skylar scoffed. "And let you go alone to the Blighted Lands? You're going to die a dreadful death without me before an hour is up. You are a horrible scout."

"I'm not that bad," he protested. The reality was too suffocating right now and laughing seemed out of place. They tried to get back to their usual bickering, but none of them had the heart to do it.

"When can we move out?" Skylar asked after a moment.

"Tomorrow at dawn. The special unit of Winged Cavalry is here already. I need to leave all the military matters in order, and we are free to go."

Skylar squeezed a little, cold hand. "Let's get it over with quickly."

***

Skylar walked towards the main doors of Evergreen, checking for the hundredth time if all her weapons were secured in their places. She wore a perfectly fitted chainmail that was quite heavy but still flexible enough not to constrict any movements, especially in fights. And Skylar expected a lot of that as soon as they would cross the border.

She pushed the heavy doors and went outside. Zephyr shrieked enthusiastically at her sight. Breeze was jumping excitedly around her dad, trying to nibble at his beautiful feathers, but he just nudged her with his huge beak, and she fell on her back with a panicked cry. Whenever Sky looked at those two, her heart always melted. But now, a thousand needles were piercing right through her soul when her thoughts returned to Thalia, still lying lifelessly in her bed.