Chapter 16 Keep On Going

The next day they marched north to reach the capital as soon as possible. Their rations were scarce and morale deficient. But still, they trod onwards, not contented but determined to see their mission fulfilled.

They haven't encountered any hostile creatures since yesterday. Still, Skylar's skin crawled as if something was lurking about, waiting for the opportunity to pounce at them the moment they stopped paying attention. But all around them was an empty and dusty plain with nowhere to hide.

"How are you feeling, Colonel?" Ayah asked as she caught up to her.

"I'm all good now. Sorry for all the drama yesterday."

"We got worried," the girl admitted. She was younger than Skylar, barely over her twenties. Sky felt a jab of guilt that they dragged this young woman into this horrible place while she still had her whole life ahead of her. "Forgive me for the asking, but... is it the same poison we are trying to find a cure for?"

"No, it's... something different," Sky replied after a moment of hesitation. "But you don't have to concern yourself. It's not contagious. It's because of something me and Gawyn did years ago."

"You mean when he brought you back from the dead?" the girl asked enthusiastically.

Skylar raised her brows. "That's... not exactly what happened, but yes. How would you know about it?"

"Are you kidding? Everyone knows about it. The Battle with the Blighted Lands brought years of peace to Lamyria, and you and Lord General were in the middle of it. And it's very romantic too!"

Skylar snorted. "Well, that battle was not romantic at all. It was blood and sweat and a lot of death."

"I know, but still." She sighed dramatically. "I wish I had someone who would be willing to give their life to save me."

"You are young. I'm sure you'll find someone soon."

"Yes. I'm going to start to search as soon as we are back home from this cursed place."

Skylar fell silent, feeling the lump forming in her throat. She hoped Ayah would make it back home that she'd get to safety and find love, hope and fulfilment. But at the same time, she was painfully aware that her chances were incredibly slim right now.

Before she managed to respond, the sudden scream of surprise interrupted her. The soldier walking at the front disappeared.

"Blake!" Ayah shouted, dashing to where he stood just seconds ago.

Skylar drew her sword and followed her.

There was a hole that ran at least five yards deep. Blake lay at the bottom on jagged, rough stones groaning in pain.

"A trap," Skylar gasped. She looked around. It must have been well hidden, as she could not see anything wrong with the ground around them. But if there was one, there were probably more ahead.

"Hang in there!" Gawyn shouted to the soldier. "We'll get you out in a moment."

He grabbed the coil of sturdy rope from a sack on Zephyr's back, and they started a slow process of getting the unlucky soldier out of the hole. Unfortunately, he must have been injured by the fall because he couldn't stand on his own, and they had to send a person down to get him out.

Once he was safely back on the ground, Gawyn checked on his injuries. His face was solemn, and his brows knitted.

"His leg is broken. He won't be able to walk," he said.

"I'm sorry, general," the soldier whimpered, clearly fighting with pain. "I won't be able to protect you anymore. Leave me here and move on. You can't waste time lingering here."