Chapter 7

"Charlie!"

Someone was banging on the cabin's door.

"Charlie! Lucy!"

Lucy rolled out of her bed, reaching for her doorknob in the dark.

She was nearly knocked out from Charlie's bedroom door as he swung it open with a bang, just as she was walking past.

Lucy yelped and jumped away.

"Lucy?" Charlie stumbled, "Merlin, I'm sorry, I didn't know you were out here."

"It's alright," Lucy said, "what time is it? Who's at the door?"

"Sounds like Derek," Charlie said as there was another banging knock on the door.

Dragon was barking like mad, running circles around Lucy and Charlie, jumping up in front of them as he passed.

"I'm coming!" Charlie yelled, rubbing his eyes, "bloody hell, Drag, you're going to take one of us out, calm down mate."

He opened the door and Derek was standing there, hand raised mid-knock.

"Morning," he grinned at them, "sorry to wake you."

"Morning," Charlie yawned, "what is it?"

"There's a Kingsley Shaklebolt at the barrier for you," Derek said, "says it's urgent, you'd better go check it out."

"Kingsley Shaklebolt, you say?" Charlie raised an eyebrow, "alright, I'll go down in a minute...I've just got to get changed."

"Great," Derek gave them a thumbs up, retreated back down the porch, "sorry again for waking you."

"Don't worry about it," Lucy waved, closing the door behind them.

"If Kingsley's here, it can't mean anything good," Charlie sighed, "they most likely need backup, worst case scenario I'll be gone for a few days...you'll be fine here alone?"

"Here?" Lucy said, "Charlie, I'm coming with you."

Charlie froze and turned to give her a look, "No. You're not."

"Yes—"

"Lucy Evans, no." Charlie continued grabbing various potions, shoving them into his satchel. "Especially after yesterday, and need I mention you are not yet of age?"

"I'm sixteen!" Lucy protested, "I'll be of age in a matter of months. If they need backup, they might as well get as much as they can."

"You're not coming," Charlie shook his head, retreating into his bedroom to change.

Lucy ran to her own, kicking off her pajamas in favor of a pair of leggings and a zip-up jacket.

She pinned her hair back with a clip and grabbed a pair of trainers.

"Lucy I'm goin—absolutely not," Charlie said, one hand on the door, "I said no!"

"Just let me come see him," Lucy said, "I'll be worried something's happened to you unless I know for myself what you're off to do."

"Fine," Charlie rolled his eyes, "but you've got to stay behind the barrier—Merlin I need to stop giving in to you so easily, it's making me out to be a shite guardian."

"Deal," Lucy grinned, skipping after him.

It was pitch black outside, the air icy cold against Lucy's skin.

"Stay back here," Charlie ordered once they had arrived at the outskirts of the Reserve.

Lucy nodded, she was able to see Kingsley, just a couple feet away, but she knew he couldn't see her.