Chapter 18

"Lucy."

Lucy rolled over, her eyes opening slightly.

"Come on," Sawyer was next to her bed, "let's go somewhere we can talk."

"Ok," Lucy yawned, lifting her arms for him to carry her.

"Typical," he laughed, "it's nice to see you haven't changed."

"You love it," Lucy said, resting her head on his chest.

He didn't answer, taking slow steps down the hall.

"Where are we going?" Lucy whispered.

"Just away from people," Sawyer sighed, "here."

He put her down on her feet and pointed to an alcove by the window, "how about up there?"

"You're going to have to boost me up," Lucy said.

She stepped in his hands and he pushed her upwards towards the opening in the wall.

Lucy pulled herself up and scooted over to make room.

"Do you need help?" She asked, looking down.

Sawyer shook his head. He jumped and planted his hands on the ledge, pulling himself up next to her.

They sat across from each other, their knees knocking together. The familiarity was overwhelming.

"Hello," Lucy blushed, immediately looking out the window.

"Hi," Sawyer laughed nervously.

Lucy reached out and grabbed his hand, squeezing it.

"I missed this," she said, playing with his fingers, "I missed you."

"Me too," Sawyer said.

He met her eye and his expression immediately dropped, "Love, why are you crying?"

Lucy laughed but it ended up coming out as a sob, "sorry," she wiped her face furiously, "I don't know. These last two days have been a lot."

He didn't say anything, just squeezed her hand as she got her breathing under control.

"I'm scared," she said finally.

"What're you scared of?" He asked.

"It's stupid," Lucy shook her head, "you're right in front of me...but I can't seem to convince myself it's real. I can't—I can't go through this year again, I can't lose you."

"You won't," Sawyer said with so much conviction Lucy so desperately wanted it to be true.

"You can't promise that," she shook her head.

"I know," he smiled sadly.

They sat for a moment, looking out the window.

The grounds were completely destroyed but there was a beauty in the ruins, especially under the moonlight.

"I'm thinking November," Sawyer said suddenly.

"November?" Lucy looked at him.

His face seemed to glow, half illuminated by the moon. His features had matured in the last year, they had a sharpness to them that Lucy hadn't expected. He looked different, older.

But not now.

Not in the moonlight, he sat with a careless grace, an expression of bliss that sparked his eyes. In that moment, he looked like he didn't have a worry in the world.

"Our wedding," he said, "I want to have it on the day we met, November fourteenth."

"Ok," Lucy smiled, "but I want to graduate first."