Chapter 10

Christmas was quiet at the reserve.

"Nobody's family was allowed to visit," Charlie sighed, "it's this war, finally catching up with us, even here."

"It's definitely dampening everyone's Christmas spirit," Lucy smiled weakly, her, like everyone else, wasn't feeling too jolly that December.

It was four in the morning and Lucy and Charlie were drinking tea in the living room.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Charlie asked, Lucy's gaze lost in the fire.

"What?" She looked up, her bright eyes meeting his, "oh—right, yeah, I suppose....it was my brother and Hermione, they were being attacked by a snake."

"A snake?" Charlie asked.

Lucy nodded, "Voldemort's snake."

"Are they okay?" He asked, "was my brother with them?"

"They'll be okay," Lucy confirmed, "and no, Ron wasn't there."

They sat in silence, drinking their tea.

"Charlie?" Lucy spoke after the tea had gone cold and the sun had risen over the horizon.

"Yeah?" He looked up at her.

"Happy birthday," she whispered.

"Thanks, Lu," Charlie smiled, "up for a lap around the pitch?"

Lucy nodded, standing up from her seat. "Let me change first."

The December air was cool, causing a flush on Lucy's pale skin.

"Do you need my cloak?" Charlie called from a few feet away, "you're bright red."

Lucy shook her head, "I like the breeze."

"You're going to catch a cold again," Charlie warned.

She shook her head again, "I'll be okay."

Her fingers were frozen to her broom and her teeth chattered but it reminded her of home. Snow dusted the ground of the reserve, flakes sticking to Lucy's hair.

Charlie looked much different than he did back in July. His hair had grown out, curling down his neck and his freckles had faded with the winter. The beginning of an auburn beard was hinted on his face. Lucy thought he looked better this way, more free, more like himself.

"Ready to go home?" He asked after awhile, his cheeks windburned and lips chapped.

"Yeah," Lucy smiled.

"I missed having a little sister," Charlie mused, throwing his arm around Lucy's shoulder, "you remind me of her, you know, Gin I mean."

"We're very similar," Lucy smiled, "at least that's what people say, but Ginny's much more impulsive than me, she doesn't care as much."

"A result of being brought up with six brothers I suppose," Charlie laughed.

"Did I ever tell you she's seeing Harry?" Lucy asked, looking up at him.

Charlie's eyes widened, "your brother? Harry Potter? Merlin, is she really? She's had a crush on him since the first time she heard his name."

"Yeah," Lucy laughed, "they're mad about each other, it's sickenly sweet really."

"Well blimey," Charlie rubbed the back of his neck, "good on her I suppose."

"And Ron and Hermione have something going on," Lucy said, "he was dating this girl, Lavender, for a while last year but things got complicated."