Chapter 23

A little teaser of the cover for my latest work xoxo

>•<

"Happy Birthday," Sawyer whispered, running a hand through her hair.

It had grown out a bit since she had cut it, now reaching down to her shoulder blades.

Lucy smiled, leaning into his touch.

"What do you want to do today?" He asked, "before everyone gets here?"

"A picnic I reckon," she hummed, "by the shack."

"Perfect," he kissed her forehead before getting out of bed.

"I don't want to get up yet," Lucy groaned as Sawyer tossed her one of his t-shirts and a pair of shorts.

"Come on, Lu," Sawyer said, "Abe and Draco probably already have breakfast ready."

She glared at him, yawning as she sat up. He was pulling on a button up, a new scar sliced across his chest.

"It's just a scar," he followed her gaze, buttoning his shirt to cover it, "you don't have to worry."

Lucy nodded, looking down at her own scars, none of them had gotten through the war unmarked.

"Happy Birthday!" Abe, Draco, and Pierce yelled as Lucy came down the stairs.

"Thanks, guys," she smiled, giving them each a hug.

"My baby girl is all grown up," Abe sniffed, holding her head to his chest.

"Don't cry," Lucy laughed, her own eyes welling up, "I love you."

"I love you," he ruffled her hair, "happy birthday."

She kissed his cheek and pulled away.

"We made waffles," Draco said.

"Brilliant, cheers," Lucy smiled, sitting down at the counter. "When's everyone coming here?"

"Six thirty," Abe said, "what are your plans?"

"We're going to have a picnic," Sawyer said, "but not until later."

"I just want to spend some time with you guys," Lucy said, "I've been gone so long, I need to catch up with everyone's lives."

"Well for starters, Pierce has some big news," Draco smirked.

"Spill!" Lucy gasped.

"I've been seeing someone," Pierce said awkwardly, scratching the back of his neck.

"Who?" Her eyes widened.

"Rosmerta," he blushed slightly.

"No. Way." She squealed, running to hug him, "Pierce! I'm so happy for you!"

"Thank you, Lucille," he smiled. "I missed having you around, kid."

"And I missed you," she kissed his cheek, "oh it's nice to be home."

"Lucy, are you coming back to school?" Draco asked.

"I am," she nodded, "have you decided if you are yet?"

"I reckon I am," he nodded, "I would like to finish my education."

"Any idea what you want to do after school?" Sawyer asked.

"Nothing," Draco shrugged, "I'll take this year to figure it out."

"Nothing wrong with that," Abe patted his shoulder, "nothing at all."

Lucy and Sawyer slipped out of the house several hours later, a basket hanging on Sawyer's arm.

"Thank Merlin it's nice out," Lucy smiled, laying the blanket down in the shade.