Chapter 19

You sat in your grandmother's hospital room all alone. Mr. Fu and his wife had left a while ago, leaving you to look after your grandmother. They talked to you more about your grandmother, telling you stories of their travels together and how much she had talked about you. You always worried about your grandmother traveling on her own, but knowing that they were with her made you feel relieved.

"You're missing out on your travels, mamé, so you have to get better." You grasped your grandmother's hand.

The door opened and a nurse came in smiling at you. "Good afternoon, (y/n)."

"Hey, Jane." You smiled back and stood up to let her do the routine check-up. "How are your kids doing?"

"Good, thanks for asking." Nurse Jane wrote something on her clipboard. "They love that toy you gave them, which thanks again. You really didn't have to do that."

"It's no big deal." You shrugged. "It was just going to waste away in my attic or on a shelf in some second-hand store. I figured finding a new owner straight away would be better."

"Still, thank you." Nurse Jane glanced back at you. Your lips formed a tight smile. She continued on with the check-up, quickly finishing. "All done."

"How is she?" You took a step forward.

"Same as usual." She placed her pen in her shirt's pocket. "But that's still a good thing, remember."

You nodded your head and she left the room. You glanced back at your grandmother. You grabbed her hand and turned it over to see her wrist. Her soulmate tattoo had no color, the color went away when your grandfather passed away years ago. Now her tattoo was fading away as well. You took a deep breath and stared at your own, feeling relieved to see its bright colors.

A black square signifies a person does not have a soulmate. A black and white tattoo can mean that a person's soulmate has passed. A fading tattoo can have multiple meanings. It is most common when a person is dying, the fading is seen as a sign of death looming. Other times, on rare occasions, it means that a person's soulmate is falling for another.

Even though you're with Marinette, knowing that your tattoo's colors are still vibrant brings you comfort. It tells you that you may not have to suffer from these flowers for long. But at the same time, you hate it. You just want the flowers to be gone, have your soulmate be with the one they love, and allow you to be happy with Marinette. That way no one has to get hurt anymore. Everyone gets their happy ending.

So why? 

Why do you still hope for your soulmate to find you?

Your phone began to ring. You took a moment to calm yourself down and then answered. "Hello?"

"Hey, (y/n)" It's Luka. You could hear a bit of chatter in the background. "I'm on my lunch break and wondered if you want to work on the song."

"Oh," You glanced at your grandmother. "I'm not home right now, and either way I wouldn't want you to lose track of time if we did."

"That's nothing to worry about." He chuckled. "My boss does a great job at reminding me if I do."

As if on cue, you heard a man with a heavy Italian accent yelling in the background. You're guessing that was his boss. You smiled.

"It's still not a good time," You looked down at your lap.

Luka remembered your friends telling him that you were visiting your grandmother. Judging by the sound of your voice, he could only guess that something was on your mind. You didn't sound like your happy and chill self. That worried him for some reason.