Chapter 24

Waking up early in the morning was not how Luka imagined spending his day off. But he had felt his throat closing up and a piercing feeling in his chest. Now it's 5:30 am and he's in his bathroom coughing up flowers in the sink as quietly as he can so he doesn't wake up his sister. If she saw him like this, he knows that she'll have the same expression she had when they found out that their dad died. Then she would quickly gather herself and rush to tell his mom, not caring about what he thought and only focusing on making sure he was okay. And it'll all be over once his mom finds out. She'll hunt down every house in the country in order to find his soulmate and have them explain things.

And Luka can't have that happening. He doesn't want his family to go to such lengths for him. Not when his own mother is still going through the loss of their father. Especially not when he finally got the chance to love freely.

Sighing, he leaned back and stared at the flowers. The coughs are getting worse. He's shocked that he's even lasted this long. He needs to tell Marinette how he feels soon.

Ding!

Luka glanced over at where he placed his phone. It was a notification of your latest post on Instagram. He smiled and clicked to view. It was a picture of a meadow and lake with the sun rising in the background. You had captioned the post with a song lyric.

'So give your worst excuses, any reason to stay.'

Luka's smile grew. He wondered why you were out so early in the morning, but at the same time, he couldn't help but think how that was so like you. Going on an adventure when you least expect it. So he's not entirely shocked to see a photo of the countryside.

He liked the photo and went to comment. Since you have quite the following, he's always made sure that his comments were unique in some way in order to grab your attention. He decided to reply back with lyrics of the same song.

'Give me your lips, the taste of her, I'll kiss them again' Maisie Peters, nice :)'

Not a moment later, he got a message from you. He chuckled at how fast you were.

(y/n): what r u doing up so early?

I could say the same thing about you

(y/n): I needed to go help my dad's vineyard today and I decided to venture off to a meadow nearby

(y/n): Now answer my question. I did ask first

Luka took a moment to think about a response. He would feel bad if he just told you a lie, so he settled with a half-truth.

Woke up early because I couldn't sleep

(y/n): bad dream or something??

Or something...

(y/n): wanna talk about it?

He was hesitant again. He knows he can trust you but that's also the exact reason why he doesn't want to say anything. He doesn't want you to worry.

It's nothing.

He watched the three dots appear and disappeared twice. He figured you didn't have anything to say. That was until he saw your contact appear on his screen and your ringtone blast through his phone speakers.

"Nothing is never nothing." You said before he could even say hello. You sat down on a fallen log, twirling a flower you had picked out from the meadow in between your fingers. "But I can accept and respect your privacy."