Chapter 27

Adrien heard a door open and Kagami's voice. He looked up, seeing her walk up to him with a smile. A part of him was starting to think that maybe he shouldn't say anything. That way he doesn't ruin her day, but he knows that wouldn't be right. She deserves to know the truth.

"Hey," She smiled.

"Hey," He managed to breathe out. They began to walk in a random direction in total silence as he tries to gather his thoughts. He doesn't want to hurt her feelings. She's his best friend - he doesn't want to ruin their relationship.

"So what did you want to talk about?" She stopped when they reached the corner of her block. Adrien took a deep breath, walking a bit further toward the Stop-sign. He held onto the post, biting his lower lip as he figured out what words to say.

"I really like you, Kagami."

Kagami did her best to hold back from blushing. He would never know how her heart skipped a beat though. "I really like you too, Adrien."

The blonde was now leaning against the post, a faint smile on his lips. His gaze fell to the ground and his fingers began to fiddle with the zipper of his jacket.

"I think we should postpone our date." He didn't see how quickly her expression fell.

"So after the contest?" She asked. Adrien looked up at her. Her emotions were once again well-hidden behind that calm and collected mask she holds up. There's a reason why she's nicknamed the Ice Queen at school. She's not the type to hold back her thoughts and never shows much emotion in front of others. But that's different when she's with your group of friends. She can't hide her emotions from all of you.

"I mean we shouldn't date at all." His gaze never left hers. There was a quick flicker of confusion in them before realization hit.

"You met your soulmate." There was tenderness in the way she spoke. It only made Adrien feel worse. Kagami smiled at him. "There's no need to feel bad, Adrien. I get it."

"You do?" He stopped leaning against the post and took a step toward her. She grabbed his hand.

"I may like you, Adrien, but I've always known that what we have can never be more than what we would have with our soulmates," She explained. "And no matter how much I would have loved to try, I'd rather keep you as my best friend than see any harm come to you or our soulmates."

Adrien remained quiet. He appreciated how understanding she's being. He wonders if she would be so if he ever told her about the flowers. Giving her hand a quick squeeze, he smiled. "Thanks."

Kagami pulled him toward her, wrapping an arm around his, and continued to walk. "So tell me about your soulmate."

"Well, there's not much to tell," Adrien chuckled. "I didn't get to chat with her that much, but I could tell that she was worried about something. I wanted to help her but she was - um - in a hurry. I didn't even get her number or name."

Kagami watched him as he spoke. She saw how his smile quickly turned into a frown and the bright glint in his eyes dimmed. Whatever is happening to his soulmate was worrying him. If she were to be honest, she thought it was weird that Adrien didn't even get to know his soulmate's name. She would have thought that even if they were in a hurry they would have introduced themselves. But she can't make any judgments just yet. There's got to be a logical reason first.

"Don't worry. I'm sure you'll find each other again," She assured. "Soulmates always do."

Adrien smiled again. He took a deep breath, feeling the fresh afternoon air enter his lungs. His chest still hurts but at least he's starting to feel like himself again.