Adjustment

"Well welcome to my room! It's not much, but it is home!" Paige said, opening her door. I stepped in expecting blue lights and posters galore, but that wasn't what I saw. Her room was an artist's canvas. The bottom half of her room was painted with rolling hills and fields, with houses painted in the distance. The top half was a blue sky with birds and planes painted. Her room light was disguised as a sun, and cotton ball clouds hung from the ceiling.

        "Wow..." I said, my mouth agape, looking around. Her closet was painted as large barn doors, and the dresser was painted as a mountain. The bed was the only normal looking thing in the room.

        "Yeah, a little artistic expression. I got the idea a few years back, and went to work. Took a LOT of paint," she said with a laugh.

        "Where am I going to sleep?" I asked.

        "Well I didn't really think about that, but there is plenty of room in my bed," she said.

        "Uhh... I'm sorry... what? Uhh... yeah... no... Do you have an extra blanket and pillow? I'll just... sleep on the floor..." I said blushing.

        "Oh that's a good idea!' she said with indifference, running to her closet and pulling out a blanket. She then tossed the blanket over me, and I felt her lightly hit me with a pillow. Her laugh was music to my ears, and my heart sang along.

        "Hey, that's not fair!" I said, throwing the blanket off of me, and I tackled her to the bed. I started to tickle her as she hit me with the pillow. We laughed and laughed, until we could no longer laugh anymore.

        "Well its getting late Brock... a big day tomorrow..." she said.

        "Yeah..." I said, sitting up.

        "You sure you don't want to sleep on the bed?" she asked.

        "Hahaha... no... I'm used to sleeping on... uncomfortable places," I said, standing up from her bed.

        "Good night then!" she said, and gave me a kiss on the cheek. I felt my cheek, and the warmth of her kiss was with me until I fell asleep.

        —"What do you remember?"

        "Please, I don't remember anything! I don't know who I am!" I pleaded.

        "A few more minutes ought to do it."

        "Please! I don't know! I don't know!" I said. I felt the tears stream down my face.

        "Put it over his damn mouth! I'm tired of hearing his damn whining!"

        "Please! No! NO! Mphh!" I screamed. I tried to move. I was trapped, I couldn't move. I couldn't move. I couldn't move. Then the lightning. My body is shaking, back and forth. My head tried to jolt forward, jolt away, but I was trapped. I panicked. I could not scream. My cheeks were soaked, my eyes blind.

        "Now. TELL ME. What. Do. You. Remember?"

        — "Hey! Wake up! Stop screaming!" someone said, shaking me awake. Where was I? Who was shaking me?

        "No! I don't remember!" I screamed, jolting forward.

        "It's okay! It's just me! Paige!" she said, holding me close to her.

        "I can't... I can't... I can't sleep..." I blubbered.

        "Hey hey hey! It's okay! I'm right here! I'm not going anywhere! You don't have to remember! You never have to remember again," she said. Her embrace was warm.