Chapter 1: Enlistment

William's POV

A Brand-new world just waiting to be discovered the thought was unreal and fact we managed to essentially teleport the whole US to another place. Through the radio we heard that the US military forces at the US-Mexico and US-Canada border have reported seeing people on the OTHER side of the borders watching the soldiers curiously, which was thrilling for me and my mother to hear. The president came onto the radio and stated that an expedition force will be sent to across the ocean in a few months to contact possible civilizations, if there wasn't then the US would expand across the sea.

I personally always wanted to find an adventure, and this seemed like a perfect opportunity to find one but if I wanted to then I would need to enlist into the military which I have wanted to do since I was young. But now with my birthday over with and being 17 years old that dream can come true but of course the age of enlistment is 18 but some lying will do.

Walking down the town street I glanced at brick wall beside me and saw multiple recruitment posters for each branch of the military.

"There's a place for you in the USAF" the poster headline said, with a squadron of P-40s high in the clouds

"You don't need the USS Arizona the USS Arizona needs you!" this poster had the USS Arizona with a Catalina flying above the mighty ship

"Join the Marines!" the poster had a US Marine saluting

"Ready for anything!" the last poster had a group of US army soldiers looking at me

Walking past the wall I looked up at a hanging sign that read 'Recruitment Office'. Opening the door, the bell above the door rung and a man from behind the desk peaked up and shot me a welcoming smile. "Hello sir, what can I do for you?" he asked nicely, "I am trying to join the US army" I said unsure of how to approach the topic, "Well of course you walked through that door you're at the right place, have a seat and let's get you started".

"Um, do you have your birth certificate with you?" he asked to which I pulled out the folded certificate that had the date of birth slightly modified and handed it to him, "Alright, so William Montana is your name, mother Abigail Montana and father Michael Montana" his eyes went down to the date of birth and I held my breath, "Date of birth, October 2nd, 1920" his eyes continued to scan the certificate to which he hummed. "Well, you're all good now we move onto the AGCT (Army General Certification Test) usually you have to wait but since not a whole lot of people come into here, we can do it right now, hold on" the man stood from his desk and disappeared into a backroom.

I released a breath I didn't realize I was holding in and exhaled, hardest part of this entire thing was over. The guy came back with a paper in his hand, "Alright here's your test, I'll be in the back just holler when you're finished" he then handed me the test and left again.

Answering the final question on the test I called the man, and he came back and started examining my test, "Alright so in the army like you said as an infantry, correct?" he asked making sure this is what I wanted to which I nodded. "Alright so now you go to the processing center, and they will get you already for the military" he said, and I thanked the man and left the building overflowed with excitement.

Now off to the processing center which was an old gymnasium turned into a processing center, entering the building I was greeted with a handful of people getting their physical and signing their contracts and getting my report date.

Walking inside I saw multiple tables where workers got you checked in, most were empty, but some had people at them. walking to an empty one with a tired looking woman, I stood before her and she gave me a fake warm smile, "Hello do you have your clearance paper?" she asked me, and I pulled them out, the clearance paper was something the recruiting man gave me after we finished that basically told the processing center, I have gone through the recruitment office and ready to be put in the military.

Passing the paper to her she looked at the paper and pointed to an area closed off with curtains, nodding in thanks I walked to the area and pushed the curtains aside. Before was a hospital bed with a cart full of medical supplies and a nurse who hopped up excited probably because she hasn't seen anyone in a while. "Oh hello please have a seat on the bed" she said and I did as she said, before she could ask I held out a hand with the paper in it, "Thank you, okay William Montana this will be your physical and after that you sign the contract" she informed and inside I was jumping in pure joy.

After my physical which was awkward most of the time, I was now off to signing my contract and being sent to boot camp. Exiting through the curtains I made my way to where they did the contract and report date.

There were several tables with some people at them, finding an empty desk I found myself in front of another man dressed in a military uniform. "Hello papers please?" he asked and I handed my recruitment paper and my physical report to him and after scanning through the papers he confirmed that everything was correct. "Okay sir, here's your contract" he handed me the contract that basically said that I needed to serve at least four years of active duty and then another four years of inactive reserve, agreeing completely I didn't hesitate to sign the contract.

Next the man gave me my report date and location, grabbing the slip of paper I was over the moon but then I was handed a travel ticket heading towards California. "Alright your all set, DO NOT be late when catching the bus for Texas" the man said sternly and I nodded.

Walking out of the building I had so much built up excitement and energy, I cheered out loudly and nearby looked at me like I was crazy but I could care less, using that energy I started running or more like sprinting home.

Turning sharply down my homes gravel driveway, I opened the door aggressively which my mom didn't like, "Mom I did it, I'm enlisted" I said excited and she hugged me tightly, "Great to hear my boy, when do you leave for camp?" she asked and pulling out the folded paper I looked at it myself, "It says I leave tomorrow".