Chapter 4: Small Detour

3rd Person POV

The fleet continued across the Atlantic for a day now they were already halfway across the Atlantic approaching the Portuguese coast.

From the deck of the USS Lexington a SB2U Vindicator dipped below the deck and rose into the sky much to Williams enjoyment, he walked away from the bow of the ship and traveled below deck of the ship into the mess hall where some soldiers were socializing, playing cards or smoking. Seeing his team sitting at a table talking he joined them which they sat greeted the man happily besides Jay who just glared at William.

"Think whoever's out there is going to attack us?" Hernandez asked fiddling with his glasses, "Of course they will, their going to shit themselves when they see 12 giant ships off their coasts" Dalton said while chuckling. "It would be dumb for them to shoot first because we can easily kick their ass" Jay said confident of a possible battle in the future.

"What does everyone wish for in this new world?" William asked, "Easy gold!" Hernandez quickly exclaimed excited. "I wish to visit Norway if its exists and see my people" Aseir said, the others shrugged not sure of what they wished for, "I wish I don't have to live in a world full of racist whites" Jay said his eyes planted on William who scrunched his eyebrows confused.

"Jay is there a problem?" William asked

"Yes, there is your from Kansas, right?" Jay asked pissed, William nodded

"People like you killed my pa and raped my momma in Kansas when I was a boy working in forced labor... so fuck you white boy" everyone was shocked at Jays short outburst and others in the mess hall looked at the situation with excitement thinking a fight was going to happen.

"Jay... I'm sorry to hear that happened to your parents and you but I can assure you I am no racist I was born in a house where I taught to treat everyone as one even blacks" William assured the fuming black man, Jay stood up and continued to glare at William.

"Come on nigga fight the man" a soldier sitting a table nearby said laughing with his buddies, Jay turned his attention to the man. Aseir grabbed a hold of Jays arm and held on tightly, Jay was fuming mad and looked to Aseir to let him go but the tall man firmly shook his head. Jay eventually relaxed enough to rip his arm from Aseir grasp and storm out of the mess hall, William and them, looked at Jay as he disappeared from their view, they couldn't help but feel bad for the man and had to listen as the man who was made the racist remark continued to make them. They couldn't do anything but listen to the man continue to make the remarks as they could possibly be arrested, and court martialed for attacking a fellow soldier.

The main door to the mess hall swung open as a soldier ran inside out of breath, "Guys you have to see something!" he shouted causing everyone's curiosity to peak and rush out of the mess hall in a cluttered mass. Standing on the deck they couldn't see anything but their fleet.

"Is this a joke?"

"What are we looking at?"

"Is this a drill?"

was one of many murmurs going around then the ships besides the cargo ships general quarters alarm started blaring, the soldiers were even more confused but then from the side of the USS Ranger they saw it.

A large and long wooden ship appeared that had a big mast, compared to our ships it was quite small and they could look down upon the ship. On the deck of the vessel were people dressed in fur clothes and boots, they wore helmets with sheets of metal that covered their cheeks and a long piece of metal that covered their nose. They looked at the massive ships in the fleet with shock and awe, they had never seen such massive ships in their lives, and they deeply fascinated with what they could assume to be weapons of massive size on the giant metal ships.

Sailors aboard the ships readied their weapons in case the people on board dared make a move, the atmosphere was tense as the two people from different worlds stared at each other in fascination. The captain of the longboat ordered for the ship to be alongside the fleet, when the sailors noticed, the ship was moving to sail alongside the fleet they frantically called for the admiral to get orders.

The admiral told them to fire warning shots

Sailors aboard the USS Barnett fired their 3-inch guns around the ship causing large splashes of water to soak the people and rock their boat, the men were surprised and shocked by the power of their weapons and didn't waste any time turning their ship away from the fleet and fleeing. The sailors and soldiers took a breath of relief and laughed off the tension, after that incident the fleet continued their journey without a problem.

Elsewhere, the Vindicator that took off from the Ranger was miles and miles away from the fleet on a scouting mission, the crew of two inside looked down only to see nothing but sea. The pilot adverted his eyes from the sea below and ahead he gasped when he saw two land masses with a body of water splitting the two land masses forming a strait but one detail that caught his eye was two gargantuan towers that rested on each side of the strait. Announcing the sighting to his buddy in the back he too saw the strait ahead, looking down at a map from their old world the sudden realization made his jaw drop, they were looking right at the Strait of Gibraltar.

Turning the plane, they were flying towards Portugal, using a pair of binoculars they didn't see any signs of civilization much to their disappointment. The pilot looked down at the fuel and saw they were running low and needed to head back.

"USS Ranger come in; USS Ranger come in" the pilot called from his radio

"USS Ranger to Vindicator I read you"

"We didn't spot any signs of civilization, but we did find the Strait of Gibraltar it might be best if we send the fleet through the strait into the Mediterranean, people have to be out here"

Back at the fleet the pilots words reached the admiral who after a moment of thinking gave the ok for the fleet to sail into the Mediterranean in hopes of finding people.