Chapter 18: Battle at Sea Part 3

3rd Person POV

In the early morning of the next day the hum of engines swooshed across the orange-colored sky. The engines belonged to 50 PBY Catalinas armed with four torpedoes, two on each wing, above them were 40 B-17s armed with incendiary bombs.

Their mission was to strike the Mongol fleet believed to be 100 miles away from the Midway Atoll circling the island. Speaking of the Midway Atoll, an American scout plane flew low past the island and was surprised to see the American flag still flying with bodies of dragons everywhere and American soldiers walking around still alive and holding onto the base.

They needed to strike the fleet before they could launch another attack on Midway, this time fully capturing the island and base. The PBY crews looked out for the fleet while the B-17 crews did the same, thankfully because of their altitude the crews could see the fleet in the distance. The B-17s alerted the PBYs and together they flew towards the fleet ready to strike.

The Mongols aboard the fleet were on high alert, telescopes were aimed at every inch of the sky looking for incoming planes. Because of the number of scouts watching the skies the B-17s and PBYs were spotted in mere seconds, sounding the alarm the soldiers aboard the dragon carriers forced the dragons out of their cages and into the air.

The crews inside the PBYs and B-17s manned their guns and prepared to defend their lives and planes.

The first dragon swooped down and fired at the leading PBY and missed, the flying boats opened fire at the dragons and tracer rounds zipped through the air and downed multiple dragons. A PBYs engine exploded from a direct hit and the wing tore off downing the plane to its watery grave.

Getting close enough to the fleet, the PBYs flew low to the water with the dragons still hot on their tail, balls of fire rain down on the PBYs throwing water up splashing all over the plane's windshields. The pilots activated the torpedo's propellers and prepared to drop.

A dragon landed on top of one of the PBYs and roared, scaring the crew inside. Using its razor-sharp claws, the dragon clawed a hole in the roof getting a perfect view inside. The crew shouted in fear and used their sidearms to gun down the dragon, several rounds pierced the dragon's skin and it roared in rage and agony. With its last life the dragon fired a torrent of flames inside the cabin, flames rushed through the cabin and swallowed the crew. The plane burned from the inside out and eventually smashed into the ocean.

Now close enough the PBYs dropped their torpedo's, using their rudders the planes swung side to side to spread out the torpedoes. 192 torpedoes cut through the water and towards the fleet, the Mongols aboard the ships saw the torpedoes and tried to move out of the way but there were so many in the water they couldn't avoid it.

Ship after ship exploded from the torpedoes, many of them struck unsuspecting dragon carriers and the rest struck warships left and right. The damage was heavy but there was an even greater threat approaching the fleet, the B-17s approached the fleet with dragons swarming them, the gunners fired at the dragons gunning down countless. Out of the 40 bombers they had lost only three.

Approaching the fleet, the bombardiers opened the bomb bay doors, and the bombardiers had their fingers hovering over the button that would drop the deadly bombs. Eyes stared through their bomb scopes waiting for the fleet to cross in between the crosshairs, the bomber pilots were playing it smart and would strike the fleet from the front instead of the side to ensure maximum destruction.

"Bombs away!"

Bombardiers shouted dropping bombs over the fleet, hundreds of bombs fell from the planes and whistled towards the ocean. The first bomb struck another ammunition ship and created a deafening explosion for the Mongols around it, when the rest of the bombs struck the ships, they didn't just explode they threw flaming materials all over the place catching other ship ablaze. When a bomb struck a dragon carrier the explosive ignited the ships quickly and burned the dragons locked in cages alive. Half of the bombs landed in the water throwing up columns of water that had a hint of fire inside them.