Chapter 11: Failed Attempts

3rd Person POV

Abigail straightened her dress as she entered the towns diner, she stood in the lobby like a statue as she searched for her date, she met a few days ago. Spotting the man sitting alone at a booth reading the menu she happily walked over to the man, looking up from the menu he laid eyes on hers and gave a polite smile.

"Hello! Dave, right?"

"That's me, have a seat Abigail"

The woman sat down in the booth, "How've you been?" she asked him, "I've been okay how about you?" he asked blandly, "Um, I have been-"

"Yeah, yeah that's great, what are you getting" his interruption took Abigail back, but she didn't think nothing of it.

"Uh... actually I'm not hungry" Abigail told the man who gave her a questioning look. "You're not hungry, then why did you ask to meet at this diner?" he asked in an agitated tone, Abigail was speechless at the man.

"Um, excuse me?"

A voice made her turn around and see another woman looking at her and Dave with a confused look, "Betty!?" he said in shocked tone, "Dave who's this?" the woman named Betty asked. "Um... a coworker from work" he said sheepishly, at this point Abigail knew what was going on and excused herself with Dave asking for her to come back but she drowned him out and left the diner upset.

Over the next few weeks Abigail would experience failed date after failed date.

Such examples would be one date ended when they met in the same diner and the guy, she was meeting tried to convince her to do the dirty with him behind the diner or at his place to which she slapped him and left.

The other date ended when at first things were going great until she mentioned her son in the military and the guy started calling her son a 'murderer' and 'invader' because he was in the military and was stationed in the Mediterranean, because of this she punched the man square in the nose breaking it.

Now after several failed dates she sat at home in the dark miserable and lonely, after sitting in her chair for quiet some time in pure silence she stood up from her chair and approached the dining table. Taking a sheet of paper and a pen she sat down and began writing.

Dear William

How are you doing my son, I assume good because I trust you to stay safe.

Son I am not doing well, I'm not sick or anything like that I'm just lonely, I wish you were here with me but your out there in the Mediterranean. I've been going out on dates with some people and let me say that all of them were awful one tried to convince me to have sex with him and another insulted you for being in the military, these men son are ridiculous.

Anyway, I think I'm done I'll try again next yeart, I just pray to God I can find a man anyway I love you William can't wait for when you return home.

Your Mother

She sighed grabbing an envelope and sealing the letter inside, leaving the letter on the table she returned to her chair and continued to sit in the dark.

William's POV

The war has been going on for a few days now and the Persians were getting their asses handed to them, but they were holding out strong. However, I was a bit confused according to the Persian soldiers and citizens I have talked to them have all said that the Mongolian Empire has such an overwhelming force that Persia would fall in a matter of days however I've heard that the Mongolians are sending small forces to battle the Persians instead of massive waves of soldiers.