000 | the letters by the tree

i miss you more than i thought i would

OCEAN BLUE EYES stared down at a pile of tattered papers

OCEAN BLUE EYES stared down at a pile of tattered papers. The parchment feeling had weathered away, much like the seasons that had passed. He sat with his back pressed against sturdy bark, the green leaves shading his body from the sun's exposure. The breeze that drifted by waved its hellos, brushing past and caressing his face like a distant friend.

Armin's finger traced the worn wax seal; he couldn't tear his gaze away from the familiar handwriting. The heart in his chest ached.

"Oh, Eren," he breathed.

They were best friends. Once upon a time.

They had fun. Once upon a time.

And now he was gone. At this time.

"When did he write them?" Armin turned his head. His wife sat beside him, her glacial eyes staring at him with an expectant look.

She had aged like fine wine, if you asked him. Her blonde hair sat below her shoulder bones; the front strands clipped back by a few bobby pins. A silver ring sat on her thumb, and a gold band sat on her fourth finger. It glistened under the sun's refracted rays, an announcement to the whole world.

"I'm not sure," he replied.

Armin looked back at the envelopes.

"Should we read them?" Annie asked.

Trying to lighten the solemn mood, Armin cheekily remarked, "Thankfully, he's not here to stop us." Those emotions never reached his eyes. Annie could tell. She knew her husband like the back of her hand now. Eren's death impacted them all immensely. That damn suicidal blockhead. Attempting to shoulder the burden of this fucked up world all on his own. Fucking pathetic. Fucking inconsiderate. Fucking...selfless.

If only they knew the truth.

"He'd be pissed," she added.

"He would be." Armin drew his bottom lip into his mouth. Curiosity gnawed in his stomach. "But I wonder who they're for."

"Where'd you find them anyway?"

"At the cottage. He left them there, and I'm not sure if it was deliberate or not."

Annie shrugged. "Well, get to it. Nothing's stopping you."

"I suppose."

With a deep inhale, Armin tenderly slid a calloused finger under the envelope's opening and tore the seal. The crimson wax crumbled onto his lap, but he paid it no mind, not when his cells buzzed with inquisitiveness.

"February first," he read aloud. "Today..."