Chapter 1

It started out as any other normal day, but Edward was missing his wife terribly.

She was off having fun with the girls, taking an extended shopping trip across Europe. She had only been gone for 5 days, but it felt like an eternity. Edward felt lost without his mate. After all, he had been alone for so long, now that he finally had Bella by his side, he didn't want to let her go for even a second. It was Alice who badgered him into letting her go, calling him selfish and that this was a modern world and wives didn't have to answer to their husbands anymore. Edward didn't want to be controlling, so he let her go with no further complaints. He was lonely though, and worried. She was only 8 months into her new existence, and though she always exhibited impeccable control around humans, she was still so young - the urge to kill could flare up at any moment. She had only just lost her crimson eyes a few months ago, and he loved her new golden ones. But Alice assured him everything would be fine, and he trusted her. If Bella was resolved not to cave into their true nature, he could let her go. He knew he shouldn't worry about her, but he couldn't help but worry just a little bit.

So, today went as every other day had gone since they left. He hunted in the early morning hours, read a little, watched Emmett and Jasper play some stupid video game for a while, missed Bella, played the piano, watched a little TV. Then, in the middle of an episode of The Walking Dead, and laughing at the ridiculousness of it , he felt like his chest had caved in. His vision went black and he was gasping for breath even though he didn't need to breath. He felt like his whole body was on fire. It lasted for maybe a minute before he was left with a sinking feeling in his stomach. Edward decided to call Bella, but it went straight to voicemail. She probably was too caught up in whatever they were doing and forgot to charge her phone. He tried to shake it off, and uneasily settled back in to finish watching the show.

A few hours passed and Edward couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong. He called Bella a few more times, and when her voicemail picked up immediately every time, he tried Alice. Same result. He called Rosalie, it went straight to voicemail. Starting to panic, he tried Esme. Her phone just rang and rang. Edward threw his phone onto the couch in frustration and started pacing the room, wearing a mark into the floor.

"Hey, man, Esme's going to kill you." Emmett snickered, entering the room and plopping down on the couch.

Jasper followed him in, perching on the arm of the love seat. "Edward, what's up with you? Your emotions are totally erratic right now."

Edward sighed. "I don't know, Jasper. I just don't feel right. I feel like something's gone wrong in Europe and I can't reach any of the girls on their phones..."

Emmett tried to soothe Edward. "I'm sure that they've just been busy and forgot to charge their phones, or left them at the hotel or something. They always call us at night, don't worry."

"Yeah, Edward, they'll call us tonight, like always. Relax!" Jasper sent a wave of calm, which did help ease his worrying somewhat.

"You guys are probably right." Edward said, sinking down on the couch next to Emmett. He let the calm atmosphere even him out. It was only when his brain had relaxed enough that he realized that, with the time difference, it was in fact night time over there. And that's when he heard Carlisle's car pull into the drive. He was actively hiding his thoughts from him, reciting some bible verses in Aramaic. Jasper sucked in a breath. Holy shit, he is bereaved. Alarms started going off in Edwards head as he rose to his feet just as Carlisle entered the front door.

Carlisle's face was etched with pain, but when he spoke, his voice was controlled. "I have bad news. Edward, please sit down."

Edward stubbornly remained standing. Carlisle sighed heavily, but continued on. "Esme called me at the hospital. They ran into some trouble while they were in Italy. They don't know why, but Bella caught the scent of blood in the hotel they were staying, and well.... she was unable to resist. Rosalie tried to restrain her, but Bella's newborn strength proved to be too great. She broke down the poor guys door and attacked."

Edward couldn't believe it. Bella had been fantastic from the beginning, with only a couple of hiccups, but her control was the best he had ever seen in a newborn. He was super proud of her for it. There must have been something in the guys blood that enticed her, there had to be a reason.

Jasper spoke up. "Didn't Alice see this coming?"

Edward answered for Carlisle. "She wouldn't see it in time if it was a split second decision."

Jasper nodded and Carlisle went on. "Once Bella was finished with him and she realized what she'd done, she panicked and tried to get the body away from her. In her frenzied state, she threw the body out of a window and into a crowd of people."

A collective gasp filled the room. They were all frozen in shock.

Carlisle took a deep breath before relaying more of the story. "Alice saw the Volturi coming. They tried to hide, but they were found quickly."

Edwards dead heart dropped into the pit of his stomach. He searched Carlisle's mind, not wanting to wait to hear the rest, but he was still trying to block him, but as Carlisle's wall started to crack and his thoughts began to leak through. 'How can I tell him this? It will destroy him. This life has been so unfair to my son...'

"Carlisle, please, just say what you are going to say." Edward said as his voice cracked.

He shook his head. He stared at the floor as his shoulders shook slightly in silent sobs. 'I can't say it, son. I'm so sorry. She made a fatal error. Your sisters tried to stop them, but the Guard destroyed her. Bella is dead.'

Edward stood frozen in shock. He barely registered that Jasper was openly weeping from the combined effect of mine and Carlisle's turmoil, and Emmett was begging Carlisle to speak and tell him what had happened.

Shock gave way to a ripping sensation in Edwards chest, like his heart was being wrenched from his body. A howl clawed it's way out of his throat and all he could think was to flee this place, this house full of the essence of his beloved. Edward pushed past Carlisle and took off into the woods as fast as his legs could take him.

On some level, Edward heard his brothers shouting after him, and Carlisle telling them to let him go. He was thankful for that. He just needed to be alone with his tormented anguish.

Edward didn't even know where he was going. Nor did he care. His entire expanded vampire brain was being flooded with memories of Bella, and lamenting the memories he would never be able to make with her. He had lived long enough without a mate, thinking he had no soul. Bella made him realize that he did in fact still have a soul, but his soul was dead without her by his side. Edward didn't want to continue living this half-life without his love by his side. This was even worse than the first time he thought she had died, because now he couldn't even ask the Volturi for help. They were the bastards that murdered his Bella. His wife! Why did he give in and let her go? Everyone always pegged him as overprotective, but obviously he had good reason to be. He should've done what he knew was right and made her wait until she was at least a year and half to let her go globetrotting with the others.

Edwards feet stopped automatically once he reached the Quiluete border. It was almost instinct not to cross into their lands, for fear of nullifying the treaty and giving them reason to attack. He barely gave it a second thought as he stepped over the border. This was perfect. The wolves would kill him and take away his pain. And if there was an afterlife for his kind, perhaps he could be with Bella again after all. He ran on, fueled by his sorrow and the desire to just end it all. He was desperate to make it into the town, where there would be a multitude of wolves to fight over killing him. Maybe he'd even force their hand by draining one of their people. Why not? He just wanted to die.

Edward had only made it halfway to the town before his body seized and he collapsed onto the forest floor. He felt incredibly weak and sick to his stomach for the first time in nearly a century. He tucked his knees up to his chest in an effort to ease his sudden physical pain. The grief and pain and agony of his loss proved to be to much to bear anymore. He broke down, his body shaking violently with dry sobs. And then, he felt absolutely nothing. The world went black.