Chapter 7

Jacob had been gone a mere 11 hours, 43 minutes, 37 seconds, and already Edward felt unhinged. In his absence, all he could think about was Bella's untimely, cruel demise. He blamed himself. He thought about all the things he never told her, and all the things he never told her enough. He sat alone in his bedroom, gazing into her deep brown eyes through the photograph he held, thinking of all the moments and experiences of forever that they would never get to experience.

It was a shock to his system to realize how effective Jacob was at distracting him from wallowing in guilt, as he was prone to do. Although he did not entirely understand it, he was endlessly grateful for it. He didn't want to dwell in misery. Dwelling would surely ruin him, as he was now discovering in the hours he had been away. Edward found himself counting the seconds until his return as he sank swiftly into the black hole of depression.

Edward heard his mind before he smelled his strong, alluring aroma. The essence of his thoughts became clearer as he approached rather rapidly, he must be in wolf form. One word repeated over and over, tinged with urgency and devotion - Edward, Edward, Edward...

Instantly, Edward felt the fog begin to lift from around him. It didn't disappear completely. That would take a little longer. Regardless, he felt better knowing that he was close by. Knowing that he would see him momentarily made him feel...safe. As if a vampire needed safekeeping from a shifter. This phenomenon was truly strange, but he didn't care. When Jacob was around him, he felt like he still had a reason to soldier on through his eternity.

Had he not had super sensitive vampire hearing, he would have missed the nearly silent, unmistakable 'pop' of his shift as he emerged from the woods. He entered the house like he owned the place, walking wordlessly past Emmett and Esme, following Edwards scent up the stairs. So brazen , Edward loved that about him. He didn't knock when he reached his door, he just let himself in. If that had been anyone else, Edward would have been enraged by the sudden invasion of his private brooding. But he needed him desperately now, just as he knew he needed him. The time spent knocking would have been one more moment too long.

The smile on his face faltered a bit when he saw Edward sitting cross legged on the bed, holding the picture of Bella. 'Damn it. I knew I shouldn't have left him'. "Edward, how long have you been sitting here like this?"

Edward bit his lower lip, a habit he had picked up from Bella. "11 hours, 48 minutes, 3 seconds."

Jacob sighed deeply and sank down on the bed beside him. "I'm so sorry I left. I knew I should have stayed here." 'Way too soon to leave.'

"No, Jacob." Edward said firmly. "You had to see your family. I thought...I should have been able to hold it together."

Jacob shook his head. "I should have been here." he said.

"You're here now." Edward said. "So, how did it go?"he asked, wanting to change the subject.

Jacob shrugged. "Not too bad. Sam was pretty cool about it. He was pissed that I just disappeared like that, but he understands the pull of the imprint. He's going to talk to the elders and see if there's ever been anything like this before in the histories of the tribe."

"Somehow, I doubt it." Edward smirked.

"Well, we know there's never been a vampire imprint before. But maybe there has been a male/male imprinting situation. Imprinting is supposed to ensure the passage of the wolf gene, so this is...out of the ordinary." Edward nodded in agreement. Jacob continued. "It was pretty awkward with the rest of the pack. But I think they'll come around in time, especially if Sam is accepting of it. Embry was really cool though."

"Good. And your father?"

Jacob grimaced and stared at his hands, clasped tightly in his lap. He couldn't find words, but he showed Edward his memory.

Billy Black was shaking, his face contorted with fury. "How dare you defile the Black lineage this way? Imprinting on your sworn enemy. Disgusting! What in the hell were you doing so close to him anyway? You're no son of mine. Leave now and don't come back. I don't want to see your face in this house ever again. Do you hear me? DON'T COME BACK!"

As the memory faded, Edwards chest constricted. It felt like his chest was collapsing in on itself. Jacob's father had thrown him out and it was all his fault. If he hadn't run onto their land, hoping to die, Jacob never would have found him and his father would still respect him. What was wrong with him? It seemed like every life he touched was destroyed. He was toxic.

As if he could read his mind, Jacob whispered. "It's not your fault. He's just an old man set in his ways. Shifting skipped his generation, he doesn't really understand what imprinting is like."

His reassurance made Edward feel mildly better. He realized that he was still grasping the picture of Bella. As he gazed down at her angelic face, a wave of sorrow washed over him. In a choked voice, he whispered. "I miss her." 'I know. I miss her too.'

Jacob's sorrow seeing Edward this way was almost as palpable as his own. It was killing him to see him so broken. Tentatively, Jacob placed his hand on his shoulder. Edward allowed himself to seek comfort as he drew him into his warm embrace. Edward cried for Bella's loss as well as Jacob's, and pitied himself for his role in both. Jacob held him tightly, whispering that it would all be alright and that nothing was his fault. Edwards tear less sobs began to quiet ass his sole focus was drawn to the soothing circles his hands traced across his back. The heat emitting from his body effectively knocked all thoughts of Bella from his consciousness and he found himself wanting more of his gentle touches.

Jacob's mind was preoccupied with Edwards well-being, which only served to intensify the strange urge that gripped him. His head was nestled upon his shoulder, his face against his neck. Edward was suddenly overcome by the sheer heat of his skin. He had never been this close to him before. He was awed by the strength of his arms around his body, and he felt something stir deep within him. Edward took a deep breath to try and steady himself, and his senses were inundated by the pure, scent of his blood, pulsing beneath the skin of his neck. He fought the urge to press his lips to his jugular, pushing himself up off of his shoulder.

Their faces were mere inches from each other. They stared into each other's eyes. His mind was blank, but he could see confusion etched on his face. Edward caught a glimpse of himself reflected in his eyes, his own eyes were dark, black with need. He let his gaze fall to his full lips. Briefly, and wondered what they would taste like. And then, he was no longer in control. Edwards body acted on its own. His mind was admonishing him, screaming at his body to stop. But his body ignored his better judgement. Edward leaned forward and pressed his lips against Jacob's.

The shock of heat against cold sent a shiver through them both. Jacob was still for a moment, perhaps unsure of what to do, perhaps just surprised by the chill of his lips. Edward pressed him forward, running his tongue lightly across his plump lower lip. Jacob allowed him inside immediately, reacting as though a beast was unleashed within him. His arms encircled Edwards neck as their lips crashed together, their tongues stroking each other, exploring every inch of their mouths. Jacobs fingers ran through Edwards hair, tugging, pulling him closer to him. Edward wrapped his own arms around Jacob's waist, further pulling them together until there was no space between them. The kiss grew to a fever pitch. He broke the kiss unwillingly, desperately needing to breathe. As he gasped for breath, Jacob rolled his hips into Edwards. Feeling Jacobs hard, thick erection rub against his, snapped him back to reality.

Oh god, what was he doing? Bella hadn't even been dead for a month, and here he was doing god-knows-what with her best friend. Edward shoved him away, a little too hard. He stared at him, stunned into silence. He knew he should say something to him, but he could think of nothing. Instead, Edward fled, jumping from his bedroom window, hightailing it into the forest.