Chapter 22

Edward knew he smelled him.

At first, he thought it was just a phantom scent, a product of wishful thinking and post-traumatic stress. But he knew for sure that Jacob had come for him when he caught a stray thought in Heidi's mind as her group was riding the elevator. He saw Jacob, clear as day, through her eyes. He was doubled over, clutching at his stomach. Edward felt his own stomach crunch in response to his distress. Heidi wondered if he might vomit. She registered that he smelled like a wet dog She also smelled the scent of vampire on him, but she pushed it to the back of her mind, unable to make sense of it. It was Edwards scent, but more diluted. Could it be that he had not showered since they had last been together? How long had he been here?

None of that mattered, now that Jacob was here. He had arrived quickly to rescue Edward, just as he hoped he wouldn't. Edward wasn't sure how he would be able to do it, surrounded by the enemy, but he had to protect him. He had to get him out of here alive, before that demented creep Caius could get his hands on him.

The ravenous crowd of vampires faced the double-doors, anticipating the arrival of their next meal. A chorus of footsteps fell in the hallway outside the Hall, the sound steadily growing, echoing loudly in their approach. Venom flooded Edward's mouth as the sweet aroma of their blood came ever closer. Their thoughts reverberated in his mind, all excitement and wonder. They had no idea that death was imminent.

Pushing his blood lust aside, Edward searched for Jacob's mind. It didn't take long to zero in on him. He was nervous, but determined. He steeled himself, ready for anything, but, deep down, unsure of what he would find. Would he look different? What if they had they erased his memory of him? Would he still want him?

That silly mutt. As if Edward could ever forget him. As if he wasn't the other half of his very soul, which he had awakened after so long being dormant.

The doors swung open, and the group was shoved into the room, Felix and Santiago swiftly bolting the exit shut. Wild thoughts filled Edward, confusion, fear, desperation, as the vampires descended on their prey. Screams and struggling persisted, as blood was spilt from the terrified humans. The potent scent tickled his nose as the carnage got worse, but Edward willed himself not to partake. Instead, he searched the mess of gore and limbs for his mate, lost in the throngs.

As more bodies fell, the towering Quileute rose from the masses, a beacon of hope and light amid the darkness and evil of his peers. Jacob found him too, their eyes met and his dead heart soared. He never thought he would see his love again, and yet, here he was, ready to take him away from this place.

'Edward' His mind cried out to him, and Edward ran, faster than he could register the movement, until he was before him. Jacob threw himself into Edwards open arms, and hurriedly, he wrapped his cloak around him, pulling him close to his chest, and out of the reach of the grasping hands of the ravenous blood-drinkers surrounding them.

'Jacob, Watch out' A woman called out in her mind, her voice too taxed by her screams to warn him properly. To warn him away from Edward. Edward sought her out in the crowd, only to see Alec swoop in and claim her blood as his own. She cursed him right before she died, Jacob's companion, another sacrifice in the tragic story of their love. Guilt washed through him as Edward buried his nose in his mate's silky hair, drinking in the scent that made him feel whole again. Jacobs large hands clutched at his back, clinging to him, not wanting to let go for fear of losing him once more. He wouldn't lose him again. Esward was willing to do anything to get them out of here, to safety and the freedom to enjoy their love for the rest of eternity.

They stayed like that, in their desperate embrace, as the last humans fell around them. The frenzy at an end, the vampires began to form a circle around them. Jacob was the final survivor, and they all wanted to drink him themselves. The sight of Edward, shielding him from their crimson eyes, sparked curious thoughts into action.