Chapter 14

Following the confrontation at the house, Edwards mind was racing almost as fast as his legs were carrying him. He couldn't even focus on Jacob's thoughts, let alone any of the others, so consumed by his own anger and despair. They hadn't run too far when Jake began to slow. The cool night air was thick with fog, and it was making it difficult for Jacob to breathe. They were far enough away that Edward could not hear his family anymore, but they were still within the furthest reaches of Cullen territory. That thought only reminded him of Rosalie's parting words...

You're a disgrace to the Cullen family name!

The recollection made Edward shudder, but his resolve was firm. If they couldn't accept Jacob and him, he didn't want to go back. He is still the same person he always was, why should they care who he laid with? Carlisle wanted to discuss everything that had happened after he could diffuse the situation at home with Rose. But there would be no discussion. He was never going back. Jacob and Edward would go off on their own, maybe Portland, or New Hampshire, or to Chicago. Anywhere but Forks. It would be painful to leave his family, they were all that he knew. But he also didn't want to live in a house of discrimination, even if it was just Rosalie. Jacob was enough for him, he had to be.

Jacob had slowed to a halt, sitting back on tired haunches, catching his ragged breath. He'd certainly pushed his limits to get away from there, as had Edward. The difference was, Edward couldn't get exhausted. His thoughts were focused on rising above the burn in his overworked muscles.

Edward sank to his knees beside Jacob, struggling to keep his face straight. He was desperate not to let his distress show in his features. He had to stay strong for him, to show him that he could take care of him. For once, he was grateful that he no longer had the capacity to cry. He threaded his long fingers through the coarse fur on his neck, giving him a good scratch. His leg kicked involuntarily and he let out a huff of pleasure.

"I'm so sorry, Jake," Edward whispered, unable to mask the crack in his voice. Jacob cocked his head to the side in concern. 'What do you have to be sorry for? ' Edward sighed. "That whole scene back there. I can't believe Rosalie would stoop so low and say such things. I'm sorry that she hurt you."

Jacob licked Edwards hand affectionately before phasing back to his human form. He pulled on his shorts more quickly than Edward would have liked. He sighed in resignation as his beautiful cock disappeared behind denim fabric. Jacob knelt before him, cupping his face in his warm hands, gently forcing him to meet his gaze. His eyes were full of love. "Edward, the only one that can hurt me is you."

Their lips met in an all-consuming kiss, and all of Edwards worries melted away. They would be just fine, as long as they had each other. Breaking the kiss, Edward trailed his lips across his jawline, stopping to lick at the shell of his ear. Shivering with a jolt of arousal, he whispered, "What are we going to do?" His shoulders tensed minutely as his thoughts continued that which he could not voice. 'You'd better not leave me because you think you're a liability for me. It didn't work when you tried that with Bella, and it won't work with me.'

A chuckle escaped Edward, but he sought to reassure him. "I learned my lesson back then. I'll never leave you, Jake. You are everything to me." His shoulders relaxed and Jacob leaned into him, burying his face in the crook of his neck. Edward wrapped him tightly in his arms, holding him as closely as he could without crushing his bones. "I'm never going to let go. We'll start a new life, go somewhere nobody knows us and just be happy."

Jacob pressed his lips to the skin of Edwards cool neck, sending a shiver down his spine. "Maybe we can go to Massachusetts. I heard they're very accepting of same-sex marriage."

Before Edward could form a reply, the wind shifted. Carried on the breeze, the scent of Rosalie filled his nose. Edwards mind immediately searched for her thoughts. He could hear the tone of her mind, but her thoughts were too murky to make out. No surprise there, she knew quite well how to block his ability. All of his feelings of contentment were swiftly replaced by rage. How dare she follow them out here after what she did? Edward got to his feet in a flash, dragging Jake up with him. In his shock, his thoughts were jumbled, but he knew what he wanted to know.

"Rosalie's here." Edward hissed. He gasped in surprise. Rushing towards the traitorous bitch's scent, Jacob hot on his heels, he shouted, "God help me, Rose, if you've come out here to incite us further..." Before he could say anything more, there she was, standing right in front of them.

She stood stock-still, frozen as a statue. Her hands were bound behind her back with a bit of rope. Edward immediately knew something more was at play here if a measly rope could keep her from moving, but he couldn't for the life of him figure out what that could be. Her face wore a grim expression, and her hair was a wind-swept mess , as if she hadn't touched it in weeks. Her dress was filthy and ants were climbing on her legs. Her eyes were open, but she stared blankly ahead, unseeing. Edward moved to stand directly before her and waved a hand in front of her face, speaking her name. She remained as she was, no outward sign that she knew he was there. But her mind became clearer once she heard him speak. Her mind screamed in a panic. Who's there? Please! Just leave me alone!

"Edward, what's happened to her?" Jacob had realized, as he had, that Rosalie was under the influence of some greater power.

Edward shook his head. "I don't know...I don't know..." They both hurried to release her hands from the bindings. "Rose, it's okay. It's Edward, I'm here to help you."

'Edward? Edward, no! Run! RUN!'

Edward stared at her immobile form, trying to make sense of what her mind was screaming at him. Run? Run where? What for?

His confusion was compounded by whispers of thoughts that began to seep into his head. He didn't get a chance to react to the Italian murmurs before the owners of those thoughts were upon them.

Out of the thick trees and fog stepped three figures that he knew all too well. Felix, Jane and Alec stood before them, each wearing a smirk on their perfectly gorgeous faces.

"Dear Edward, how nice to see you."