Chapter 2

It was so boring being on patrol these days. Now that the threat of Victoria was gone, They were patrolling alone. There wasn't really anything to protect against, since the Cullens were sort of their allies now, and they were the only vampires remotely nearby. Yet Sam still forced them to do it, just in case, he said.

Jacob rolled his large wolf eyes and huffed as he ran along the borders of La Push. Sure, the rest of the pack wasn't perturbed by the Cullen coven, except for Paul, he was an angry kind of dude. He was on Jacobs side at least, even if it was just because he desperately wanted to kill some shit. He had a real hard-on for tearing vamps apart after the recent fight. Jacob had a different reason for wanting to kill the Cullens. Or, more specifically, one particular Cullen. If one of the others got in his way, he would take them down too, but his real beef was with pretty boy Edward. The fact that he loop holed the treaty and turned his best friend and not so secret love into a bloodsucker put him right at the top of his shit list. He doesn't care if Bella wanted to be a leech. It was wrong and unnatural. And goddamn it, he wanted her for himself. And now he had no chance of that ever happening. Yeah, tearing that leech to bits would do wonders for his psyche.

Much to his surprise, he was pulled from his musings by the sickly sweet scent of vampire along the borders. Jacob skidded to a halt and sniffed along the border only to realize that the border was actually breached. One of those fuckers actually had the balls to enter La Push. Jacob grinned wide, his tongue lolling out of the side of his muzzle. Holy shit, one of them nullified the treaty. He was gonna kill some bloodsucking ass tonight!

Jacob ran as fast as he could, following the leech's trail. Damned if the vamp didn't get pretty far in! The scent was growing stronger. He must be getting closer to it. It was weird though, that the scent should be getting stronger. Weren't vampires fast, and didn't they have super-hearing? Surely it knew he was coming, why wasn't it trying to get away?

The scent was extremely thick now, and Jacob fell to his knees as he tripped over a large misshapen stone. The fall forced him back into his human form. He stood up, dusting himself off and rubbing his banged up knee. It was already starting to heal. Damn 'I had to phase back'. The fucking vampire was close, and it would surely kill him first if he approached as a human. Jacob turned around to kick the offending rock.

It wasn't until his foot was already swinging through the air that he realized he hadn't tripped over a rock. Lying there on the forest floor, curled up in the fetal position, eyes staring unblinking and unfocused ahead was the vampire in question. Edward motherfucking Cullen. Well, if this wasn't his lucky day. Jacob allowed his foot to connect with his shin, but he didn't move. Not that he expected him to react with pain from his kick, it probably felt like a fly landing on him. But he didn't react at all, didn't blink, didn't gasp, not even one muscle twitched. It was as if he didn't even know Jacob was there.

'Maybe I could make him move with some mental taunts' Jacob thought. It always pissed him off when he screamed things like that in his mind. 'Fucking bloodsucking leech, douche-bag piece of trash. I'm gonna fucking kill you, you parasitic woman-stealing nasty dickwad'! Jacob stared at his unmoving form. He didn't seem to be hearing him. Okay, this was getting seriously creepy.

Jacob knelt down next to him and pushed against his arm, rolling him onto his back. He didn't unfold from the fetal position though. He looked really bizarre lying on his back like that, his arms locked around his knees, staring blankly up at the sky. Maybe he was dead. He cursed to myself. Fuck, he was already dead, now he would never get the pleasure of watching that moment of fear before he tore him to pieces.

Jacob looked into those spooky blank golden eyes, searching for any sign of life, when his vision dimmed to everything around him. All he could see was Edward. Suddenly, he looked absolutely beautiful. His heart swelled, and he felt an incredible urge to help him, to protect him. Out of nowhere, Edward Cullen meant the fucking world to him.