Chapter 8

The kids party was already terrible.

AJ had managed to get bumped in the back by multiple little kids and almost dropped a drink on one of their heads. Currently she was standing with Amanda complaining along with Sam.

"Did I really have to come to this?" Sam sighed as she watched a group of kids run by with balloons.

"Seriously, did we really have to come to this" AJ added in her opinion as she got hit in the head with one of the balloons.

Amanda gave her daughter and her friend a look of annoyance, "Uh, Sheila's worked for us for ten years, she's practically family. You used to love to babysit Cindee." she glanced over at AJ, "And you offered to be here so suck it up"

Amanda gave Shelia a wave and a smile before Sam and AJ spoke again.

"Doesn't change the fact that this is just about the last place I'd like to be spending my Saturday" Sam responded still annoyed.

"And I take back my offer!" AJ once again pitched in her own opinion to the conversation.

"A lot of people have it worse for you" Amanda lectured Sam before looking at AJ, "Do you want to walk home?"

Over the course of AJ being at the combined dojo her and Amanda had a few run ins and almost already she could see some of the similarities between the two women. She was glad that she had Amanda on her side and if she was being honest she was glad Amanda was now also on Tory's.

Just as AJ was about to respond the mermaid show started causing her to gasp loudly and cover her mouth with her hands. Sam glanced to the stage and immediately started laughing and the sight.

There on stage was Tory in a bright purple wig and a whole mermaid costume. AJ had heard about her awful job but did not expect anything like that, and what she definitely didn't expect was for someone else to be stepping out in a fake princess dress.

"Now I'm a little confused with the theme, is it like the little mermaid and Sawyer is supposed to be Ariel? Because from my knowledge she would be playing one of those eels" AJ joked as she stared at her own rival who was glaring at her from the stage.

It was a little hard to be intimidated by someone when they were wearing a crown and a ridiculous knock off Ariel costume.

Sam just shrugged and continued to laugh, "Did I say the last place I want to spend my Saturday? I meant the first"

AJ took a break from laughing at Sawyer to glance at Amanda who looked increasingly worried the more Tory and Sam exchanged glances and AJ couldn't blame her. Amanda was looking out for her daughter but at the same time she was now also starting to care for Tory as a motherly figure as well. It was probably conflicting.

But then again seeing Sawyer up there in a princess costume and looking absolutely ridiculous pushed away any sympathy that AJ had for Amanda in the moment.

"This might be the best day of my life" AJ muttered to Sam who eagerly nodded in agreement.

--------------------------

Sawyer was highly considering fighting AJ in the princess dress. She couldn't stop glaring at the curly haired girl who was giggling behind her hand the more she sang and performed for the kids.

AJ on the other hand was highly considering posting the video that she had filmed of Sawyer. Seeing her up there was the highlight of her week and she knew whenever she was feeling sad or needed to laugh she could just look back at this moment right now.