This Delinquent Has A Secret... ♥ (16)

I blinked and looked around me, disoriented. A face hung above me, distorted in my blurry eyesight. When I peered closer, I saw two deep ocean blue eyes. My heart rate sped and my stomach dropped at the proximity. I backed up to see a tired looking, familiar smirk, and the glint of a silver snake bite.

"Hey, she's awake!" A voice from outside the room said, and all of a sudden, doctors were surrounding me, looking concerned. "Come on, up the dose of the sematide!" I looked at all the commotion surrounding me, and my head began to spin. I let out a soft whimper as my stomach felt nasueous, and suddenly my vission was engulfed in black. (A/N: I just made up the name sematide, trust me, it's not real!)

 "Is she alright?" A voice said, making my knees tremble. I had missed that voice. 

I blinked a few times, making sure I didn't feel dizzy. "Ash?" I asked, sitting up. He gently pushed me down. "Hey, not so fast now." He said. I lay back down on the white bed I was on and looked around. I was in the hospital, the same one as before. There was another wire in my hand, filled with the same silver liquid from before. 

I sighed in relief- the pain had gone away, but my hand was a mottled yellow-blue color, covered in bruises. 

"What happened?" I asked. I remembered how I'd dived in front of the bullet after seeing Ash.. but he looked fine now..

Ash's eyes filled with pain. 

"You tried to save me by taking the bullet... you got hit, hard. Why the hell did you leave the hospital? You still had poison from the syringe in your arm.. that's why the effects of the bullet were worse. Perez somehow got us to the hospital. They treated me easily, I just needed stitches. You're really something, Mackenzie. You were in a coma for 2 weeks. Those 2 weeks were f*cking hell on me." I felt his fingers entwining with mine.

His hair hung over his face as he leaned down over me, studying my face. "You're gonna be better though." He said. Even though his eyes were tired, his breath washed over my breath and smelled sweeter than ever.

I smiled slightly and turned my face away. As I did, I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror, and groaned. 

"I look terrible." I muttered. "I haven't brushed my teeth in two weeks." Ash rolled his eyes. "Stupid, they did all that for you. This is New York and I'm rich. We can do anything." I studied myself in the mirror. My eyes were bloodshot, my lips were cracked, and my face pale. But one thing stood out- my hair was brushed neatly, and was soft and shiny.

"Did they brush my hair, too?" I asked, reaching with my good hand to touch it.

Ash blushed slightly. "Uh, no.."

I raised my eyebrows. "Who did it then?"

"Uh... I did... I was just bored... I mean.. I was waiting for you to wake up.. so I.. brushed your hair every night.."

I laughed at his embarassed expression. "Well, thanks." I smiled up at him and his face brightened.

Suddenly, I heard a knock on the door and a nurse walked in. "Oh! You woke up!" She said, surprised. 

She looked at Ash and pointed at the door, shaking her head with a smile in her eyes. He sighed and got up, walking out.

The nurse smiled at me. "Call me Jenny. How do you feel?" She asked.

"Um, good, just a little sore. And I'm starving!" Jenny laughed. "Well yeah, you haven't eaten for 2 weeks. Any longer and we might have had to feed you through a tube." 

She handed me a bottle of water and I uncapped it, drinking it quickly. 

"That boyfriend of yours is a keeper." She said, sitting down next to me and checking the I.V.