This Delinquent Has A Secret...♥ (1)

"Get up! Get up! Get up!"

I groaned, rolling over in bed. "Wha...?" I muttered as someone shook my shoulders. "Mackenzie, come on, you're going to be late!" I forced my eyes opened. The lids felt like they'd been glued shut; I was not a morning person. And since it was the first week of summer, there had better been a reason I'd been awakened at this ungodly hour.

"It's already 10:30!" This time, I recognized my Mother's voice yelling at me. At that I jolted up, my wide green eyes finding the numbers on my alarm clock. I only had 15 minutes to get ready for my new summer job. I jumped up, pushing the covers off my legs. "Mom, why didn't you wake me up sooner?" I asked, hurridly pulling off my pajamas and replacing them with a deep green hollister shirt and blue jeans. She gave me a look. "I did. You mumbled something about getting up in 5 minutes. But obviously, you didn't." Oh. I smiled sweetly, running a brush through my wavy, dark brown hair. "Sorry, Mother. Maybe you'll forgive me sometime?" She rolled her eyes. "Grab your jacket and get out."

I put my hands up in defense. "Alright, alright." I took the thick jacket she handed me, slipped on my vans and headed outside, grabbing a bagel. It was the first week of summer, and we had just traveled to London. We would be spending the summer here. We did this every year; and usually for me, it was filled with swimming, making new friends, eating pastries, and lazing around or apartment. But not this time. We always stayed with my father's insanely rich older brother, Uncle James. He owned the whole apartment complex, and when we visited, he always lent us the most lavish one. But since I had just turned 17, my Mom was making me work and "do something useful with my life" while I was here.

I normally wouldn't have minded. I was getting a job in London, of all places. Lucky me, right? Think again. I was working at a center for delinquents who had done the worst crimes. I would apparently have to "spend time with them" and make them feel like "good, normal people". At first, I was shocked. I mean, this sounded dangerous. But my parents had assured me that there would be other people doing the same thing with the delinquents and we usually went out in groups. I just hoped mine was a nice little delinquent with manners.

Like that'll ever happen.

I reached the center and loitered around it for a while, biting my lip. There was no doubt I was nervous about this job. Then I walked through the double doors. There was a large lady with a big pile of blonde hair piled on top of her head sitting at a desk straight ahead. I walked towards her. She smiled at me, and I couldn't help but think "frog." Her lips were painted bright pink, and her smile didn't reach her steely grey eyes. "Hello, my name is Mrs. Gyrodane. How may I help you?" She asked in her british accent. I tried to smile at her.

"I'm Mackenzie Dillan. I'm supposed to be working with the, um, delinquents?" I didn't sound as confident as I hoped. Did I mention I'm ridiculously shy when it comes to new people? It's always been a set back of mine. Mrs. Gyrodane glanced at her watch. "Be on time tomorow, please. It's the first door on the right." I frowned, walking away. It was 11:00, and I was supposed to be there at 10:55. Big deal.

I entered through the first door on the right and stopped in my tracks.

It. Was. Huge.

I stood at the far end of a large, cavernous hall filled with chatter and noise. Tons of people milled around, talking to others, and filling out sheets of paper. A petite blonde lady holding a clipboard made her way towards me. "Hello, hello!" She said energetically. "Are you one of the new workers?" I nodded. "My name is Mackenzie Dillan." The lady ran one manicured nail down the sheet of paper on the clipboard. "Brilliant! Oh, fancy that. You'll be working with Ash. He's quite a charmer. Terrible past, though." She rattled on and on as I stood there, nodding. Finally, she led me over to a crowd of other workers like me, who were standing across from what I suspected were the delinquents. As I stepped into my place, the crowd fell silent. "Right I assume everone's here?"  Blondie asked, looking around. "You may introduce yourself to your partners."

I looked across from me, and my jaw hit the ground.