marcus is imbued with the spirit of kubrick stare elmo

"ALEX! GET HERE RIGHT NOW LIKE IMMEDIATELY BECAUSE UNLESS YOU WANT TO BE QUEEN WAY SOONER THAN YOU THOUGHT, Y—"

"WHAT?" Alex bellowed back, never to be outdone in sheer volume of voice, even by her 40-odd year old father.

"NEVER MIND THE EXPLANATION JUST GET HERE RIGHT NO—"

Tedros was cut off by a sudden eruption of shouting behind him, and the connection to his coin died.

Alex and Sora, halfway through getting ready for Curses!, stared at each other.

"He's really bad at that enchantment," said Alex. "The second his attention lapses, he makes the entire enchantment collapse, it's a nightmare coz he has a really short attention spa— DID HE JUST IMPLY HE MIGHT DIE?"

Her chair cracked Sora in the shins as she catapulted it across the room, making for the door.

-----------------------

Chinhae wasn't sure what time it was.

He'd been drifting in and out of sleep for hours, crammed into an armchair in the corner of his mother's room, plagued by a confused series of images— some real, like Lola curled purring in his lap and the doctor stealing in and out, some old, like Amelie fiddling with her bracelet in the bathroom, Colette and Lief running through the trees in the blue forest, Jade with her arms around his neck in the Theatre...

At some point, Seohun's voice permeated the fog, in one of his usual arguments with his favourite combatant, a soldier called Jihyo. Chinhae couldn't tell whether it was now or not; they always argued about the same things—

"Seohun and Jihyo, if you're going to argue for the thousandth time, please don't do it right outside my door."

The voices stopped abruptly. Chinhae's heart halted with them, and suddenly he was wide awake, hearing everything, seeing everything— the grey morning light filtering under the curtains, the wet patter of snow on the windowsill, voices in the courtyard, the footsteps of the butler two floors below, and stiletto heels approaching the door–

"No, don't come in." Eunha said tiredly, and sat up. She looked and sounded exhausted, but her voice was steady and her eyes were sharp and shiny again. "I don't think my eyes can deal with whatever Seohun's wearing yet. Is it muted?"

"It's offensive." came Jihyo's voice.

"Of course it's not muted." Seohun said, but his voice was weak with relief. "But what am I supposed to do, Eunha? Stand here like an idiot?"

"Go make tea if you want." Eunha sighed. "Come back in fifteen minutes."

Chinhae heard Seohun make a clattering sprint for the stairs and suspected he'd be back much sooner.

"Christ." Eunha muttered, rubbing her face. "This room feels like a tomb. Did nobody think to open a window?"

"Should I do it now?" Chinhae forced out tentatively.

Eunha looked sharply round.

"Chinhae." she said. With surprise, with confusion. But with recognition. "Why on earth are you here?"

"I got here early yesterday." Chinhae said quietly.

His mother frowned at him.

"Yesterday? I... What day is it now?"

"December the twelfth."

"The twelfth? Jun left on the ninth--"

"You... haven't been lucid. You didn't recognise me. Us. Anyone."