the only "emotion" we allow in this house is the carly rae jepsen album!

"What... makes... a... good... deed?" asked Professor Fournier that afternoon, teetering on her tiptoes before the chalkboard as she scratched the question into the centre and drew a circle around it. She turned to them, beaming expectantly.

The usual silence of a new class reluctant to engage met her. Marcus really didn't know what she'd expected.

She waited a few extra seconds, then seemed to realise no one was going to speak up. She sighed and pointed her chalk at a girl with reddish ringlets on the front row.

"You, dear, what's your name? Give me one fact about Good deeds, anything at all."

"Colette, professor," said the girl in a thin, reedy voice. "They make your soul purer!"

"When done with good intentions, yes!" said Hephzibah, scribbling purifies soul onto the mind map. "Anyone else?"

Tentatively, other Evers started to volunteer answers:

"Done without wanting anything in return?"

"They benefit others."

"Necessary for all Evers."

Hephzibah noted all of these down, nodding approvingly. Marcus put his chin in his hand, bored already. He found this to be an awfully basic first lesson, but most first lessons had been. Raiden looked similarly bored, but Chinhae had put on his impassive Prince face, probably to conceal what he really thought (which was probably that he, also, was bored). Amelie looked politely interested, but Jade was playing hangman with Jackson on a scrap piece of paper. Marcus suspected Hephzibah was playing it safe, to avoid any sort of backlash like Cromwell had faced with Alex's class. We'll probably not get any quizzes this year, he thought wryly.

"Now!" Hephzibah turned brightly to the students, once she had all the qualities she was wanting. "I want to hear examples of Good Deeds that people have done for you! So, let's see..." she scanned the room, and her eyes snagged on Marcus. "Prince Marcus! How about you?"

Marcus crushed a sigh at being picked on and frowned, trying to choose something. "Well... Rosalind piggybacked me home in the rain once, after I sprained my ankle."

Hephzibah's smile tightened somewhat. "Well...that's a lovely example, and very noble, but your sister is a Never. So she is therefore incapable of performing Good Deeds."

"It's still a Good Deed, regardless of who performs it," said Marcus coolly, disliking her immediate dismissal.

"Yeah, she's done lots of horrible things as well," muttered Raiden. "Balances out."

Marcus grinned, thinking of Gerald's riding accident.

Hephzibah ignored them, and turned instead to Chinhae.

"How about you, Prince Chinhae?"

Chinhae, probably chafing at her use of their titles, looked a little reluctant, but answered without protesting.

"Seohun--" he began, but Hepzibah cut him off.

"Min Seohun? Your... servant? The Evil graduate?"

"Stylist," said Chinhae thinly, obviously displeased by the disdain in her tone. "But yes, he--"

Hephzibah sighed. "I'm sure these are very good examples, but Nevers cannot perform Good Deeds!" She said emphatically. "They are not Good!"

She whipped desperately to her next target; Jade, who was pulling on one of her earrings, staring into space.

"What about you, Princess Jade?" She said, slightly desperately. Jade jumped and almost yanked her earring through her ear. It began to bleed slightly.